On/off ignition wiring

payaso13

1978xs650
Reaction score
79 hardtail
Pamco/pma
Stock handlebar controls
Stock starter relay

Trying to figure out how to wire this on/off switch. Red and black is on position, so does that mean red and black combined to my fuse box to power everything else? What do i do withthe off position wires?
Screenshot_20210224-163217_eBay.jpg

Red to battery. I guess the other is black ? which ever wire connects to red with the switch on goes to the kill switch if there is one or straight to the pamco with no kill switch. You need fuses somewhere.
The other two wires would be used for a CDI system to short to ground to kill the spark.

I do have stock kill switch on handlebars..and stock starter relay..so how about from starter relay through 20 amp fuse to ignition (red wire) then black wire to fuse box to power everything else? I only say from the starter relay because i have a 14ga wire i believe goes to ignition switch that is on same post from battery. Still not sure where to hook up off position wires. From fuse box i was gonna use 7.5 fused wire to kill switch power in..then power out wire to coil ‍

Last edited:
The off position wires are not used. The rest looks good. I do like having a separate fuse for the ignition.
My bike has the red into the key switch and a brown and a blue out. The blue goes to a 10 amp circuit breaker and then powers the lights. The brown goes to 2 breakers . On breaker for the Ignition and the other to the brown wire that powers the horn, the regulator, and the other stuff the brown wire powers on a stock bike.
One thing to keep in mind is that switch is probably pretty light duty so consider using a relay with it.

I do have a heavier duty switch on off start...but i dont want to use it to start bike. Id like to use start button on rt bar switch. Can it still be wired and just not use momentary start? Or what relay should i use for current on off switch? Just did some looking around...30 amp realy sound good?

Last edited:
Back