One up or one down, sprocket questions !

Paleomechanic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, having passed the very tough Quebec Mechanical Safety inspection , I’ve put on 100km of “legal” breaking in lol ( it’s been lower speed dirt roads until yesterday!)
So, I’ve owned these enough to know they have a certain buzzy power band at spots

What I’d like to do is look at dropping the rpm just a little right around 110 km hr ( about 65 mph )

So, one tooth up on the front or one less on the rear ?

Thoughts??

Thanks all!
Happy Saturday!
Nick

I've run two down on the rear (32) with a 16" tire and would have broken somebody's hand if they tried to change it, I now run stock 17/34 on an 18" rear tire and I'll break anybody's hand that would try to change it.
....I'll add that thinking back I had to remove a link in the chain for the 32.....
18 teeth on the front sprocket starts putting the stator harness and clutch pushrod into the possible danger zone of getting chain chewed, I got tired of thinking of that possibility when riding.

I've also gotten tired of second guessing Japanese engineers.

Last edited:
What Greg said. You can go up to 18 on the front, but the design doesn't lend itself well to it.... clutch pushrod's pretty close.
I run an 17/31 setup on a Special with the fat 16" in the back. The "ugly" buzz stays away up to about 70-75mph.
... and no, it's no slug. I'm 5'8" and about 150. Bein' a lightweight gives me a good power to weight ratio. :smoke:

I’ve run the following combos,
17/34
17/33
17/32
17/31

The two bigger rear sprockets give more snap off the line, the 34 being the quickest feel for around town riding, but is more buzzy at highway speeds .

The 32 rear is a pretty good sweet spot between acceleration and reduced revs at speed. I actually ran this combo the most.

The 31 rear gives your bike a long legged feel, it drops the revs considerably at highway speeds and makes the engine less buzzy. The only weakness I found with this, is if you’re riding in steep mountain grades. I had to downshift one gear to pull the grades. The bike did just fine, but I had to rev it a little harder on the really steep grades.

As others have mentioned, I would stay away from larger front sprockets, cause you can grind your case.

I have the luxury of two XS650s. One with 17/34, the other 17/33. There is a significant difference in both acceleration and comfortable cruising speed. I’m over 200 lbs and I operate an Eleven Special in the mix. All of that comes into play. Currently, the 17/34 equipped bike is getting the most use. FWIW

I have the luxury of two XS650s. One with 17/34, the other 17/33. There is a significant difference in both acceleration and comfortable cruising speed. I’m over 200 lbs and I operate an Eleven Special in the mix. All of that comes into play. Currently, the 17/34 equipped bike is getting the most use. FWIW
I should add an important fact. I don’t have much need to drive over 55 mph. Not around here, anyway.

I like driving the bike at 3500 RPM. 17/33 is OK for me, any taller is too much a slug. YMMV
I'm with Marty.
I run 17/33 on my Tracker with 18'' rims.
Little problems with Vibes; and good acceleration to boot.
Cruising at a steady 70 mph is fine.

I like 17/32 on a 16" wheel, 17/33 on an 18". I tried the 32T on the 18" wheel and didn't care for it. It loses too much of the take-off power in the lower gears.

I'm with Marty.
I run 17/33 on my Tracker with 18'' rims.
Little problems with Vibes; and good acceleration to boot.
Cruising at a steady 70 mph is fine.
Ok good info on the rim size ! I run an 18 as well

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 25
750cc through 17/32 driving an 18x2.50 rim with a low profile tire, pretty good all around compromise for me. Any sustained speeds much about 60-65 and the XS650 isn't the best tool in the shed.
Oh, I agree , there are better tools certainly! If I’m long legging someplace, I’m taking an F650 bmw
There are a few 65mph sections I run if I’m going to work with the XS, but no more than 15 minutes-ish
Most of my riding is 30-45 mph gravel , a 33 seems to be the best combination I’ve seen a I weigh all the responses here

Any suggestions as to where I can find a 33? Is that a Mike’s XS item ?

Both of my bikes are basically stock, just with the routine "pods and pipes" mod. One is ported though, and I feel it does run a bit stronger because of that.
Thanks. Mine is going to be 700cc with a Shell #1 cam, ported head, VM34's and pipes, plus it's going on a diet, which it needs to to compensate for the fact that I won't. I'll probably buy both a 33t and 32t and just see which one feels best, and I'll stick with a 17t up front.

Thanks. Mine is going to be 700cc with a Shell #1 cam, ported head, VM34's and pipes, plus it's going on a diet, which it needs to to compensate for the fact that I won't. I'll probably buy both a 33t and 32t and just see which one feels best, and I'll stick with a 17t up front.
With the extra grunt from your lighter bike with a hotrod motor I would guess you wont notice a lack of performance between the 32T and 33T. My 750 Tracker has 18/34 and when I need replacements I may go 18/33 or 18/32. The down side going to far is low speed (parking lot) manuevering become more of a challange.

With the extra grunt from your lighter bike with a hotrod motor I would guess you wont notice a lack of performance between the 32T and 33T. My 750 Tracker has 18/34 and when I need replacements I may go 18/33 or 18/32. The down side going to far is low speed (parking lot) manuevering become more of a challange.
Now if I could just get the weight off of me. I can't really take the cut off wheel and de-tab myself.

Back