kent_in_kc

Heartlander
Reaction score
Go here for a PDF with pics:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/DIYCruisers/messages?msg=905.1

This is how she looks:

Results1.jpg

Last edited:
This is a very nice write up. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I see nothing wrong with the way you did it. I would ride the hell out of that bike:thumbsup:. Nice looking ride.

Oh! Oh, hell! Dirty Fro! Damn, I think we're related. I'm Dirty Kent from the Midwest! We're cousins!

Hey, I never did get my part of the inheritance. Could you send me a few hundred bucks til I get the check? I appreciate it, a man is blessed to have family like you, sir.

Good explanations make all the difference. Nice write-up and a great "poor-man's" way to get some extra degrees of rake to the neck. 35* is ideal for a lot of guys who are doing less extreme mods to their scoots, while only losing an inch of backbone.

My only criticism is that I would urge anyone else doing this to remove the neck gussets, do your cutting/welding in the area covered by the gussets (and above the cross brace/motor mount) and then replace the gussets. This will further strengthen an area that you have weakened. I realize it's a bit more work but it's worthwhile. And for all you guys using tanks that expose those ugly-ass gussets... you're only going to make your scoot look better.

Good stuff Kent.

Cool. Nice work. Might tackle something like this myself today.

I don't agree with using water too cool the welds though if that's what the spray bottle was for. That will harden the welds but make them more brittle and more prone to cracking. Air cooling is the only way to go. You could easily reheat those welds with a torch and let them air cool to normalize those areas again. :twocents:

If I give this a go, I'll try to remember to take pictures! Good job documenting your process. Including the safety info was a nice touch. :cheers:

Yeah, Trav, I agree and should have been more clear. I meant to say the spray bottle of water was to keep the collateral damage under control! I cool surrounding metal and put out micro fires with it.

But, your suggestion is important and I will revise the PDF accordingly. Thanks, pal!

Resurrection in progress!

I have a question on if it is possible to bend the down tubes and use shorter motor mounts? Rather than notching them?

Still have to cut the back bone and cross brace. But I don't really want the little kink in the down tubes. In other words I don't want the PO-PO to be able to tell the frame has been moded. Can't see the Back bone etc with the tank on but but will notice a shift in the down tubes angle.
xs650chop06.jpg

Back