only goes to 75 mph?

ya, it'll go faster so long as everything is tuned well and in good condition. had mine up to 100 mph the other day. she still had some left in her too

Either something was wrong with that bike or they were just scared to twist the throttle.

Well, here is a list of things that can slow the bike down:

Bike goes slow (< 100MPH)

1. Low battery / charging system. A low battery will produce a low ignition voltage at the plugs which is most evident at higher RPM's.
2. Timing. Did you use a timing light to set the timing?
3. Stuck or no advance. When checking the timing with the timing light, did you check for maximum advance at 3,000 RPM.
4. Binding advance rod. Check out this video:

5. Fouled plugs. Did you install new plugs? Check them after you got it running?
6. Plug wire not making contact in the coil. Measure the resistance from plug cap to plug cap to ensure that both plug wires are making contact in the coil.
7. Brakes dragging.
8. Speedo out of calibration. You are actually going faster than 100 MPH! Use your GPS to check the speedo.
9. Tire pressure. Pump up to 35 PSI for high speed.
10. Drive chain too tight. That will rob you of power to the wheels.
11. Enricher plunger stuck partially on.
12. Enricher (choke) left on on partially on.
13. Weak or loose advance springs. Weak or loose advance springs cause the advance to use up some of the available movement because you have to essentially retard the advance to get it on the idle advance mark, so there is less movement available at higher RPM's.
14. Timing chain needs adjustment.
15. Cheap or bad gas.
16. Low octane gas.
17. Water in the gas.
18. Partially blocked pet cock or fuel filter.
19. Paper filter that has low flow when the tank is not full.
20. Try a run with a full tank of high octane, fresh, expensive gas.
21. Blocked fuel cap vent.
22. Incorrect sprockets. What RPM are you getting at 60 MPH.
23. Rear tire rubbing on brake rod or swing arm.
24. High wind resistance. Are you a large person?
25. Throttle cable not fully opening the throttles.
26. Blockage in the muffler(s)
27. Dirty or blocked air filters
28. High altitude
29. Very hot air, like 95+F
30. Very cold air, like 32F
31. Low oil
32. Really dirty oil
33. Gas in the oil

The bike is not stock or the wheels I guess I wouldn't expect a bunch of "weekend super tuners" to get it since they seem to have trouble with simple things like carb sync and clutch adjustments

And I did 116 on my stocker this afternoon verified by GPS. Well nearly stocker and Pete 135 is with one of your ignitions that had been rewired with copper strand wire

The bike is not stock or the wheels I guess I wouldn't expect a bunch of "weekend super tuners" to get it since they seem to have trouble with simple things like carb sync and clutch adjustments

lol you are funny, what is your setup then? Do you have timeslips to prove anything or are you just flapping your gums? The burden of proof is on you.

I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else I race dirt oval and vintage road you want my setup? You figure it out. Nobody else here or anywhere else ever answered one of my questions and doubtfully could. If you want proof prove its not possible. And time slips? Not gonna happen in a 1/4 mile

*yawn... ok bro sure, we believe you:wink2:
So... If you actually race(pssssh), then there is no way you are geared for 135 mph, otherwise your bike would be slower than shit through every turn, and you would be in no way competitive. You could brag all day saying you race blah, blah, blah, this and that, but the rest of us know you are full of it. Bench racing and bullshitting is cool, but when you try to insult this whole board by saying we all don't know how how to adjust a clutch or balance carbs, be prepared to be called out on your bullshit.

It seems that most of this bored can't even change a tire or even ride their bikes fir that matter

You are obviously too good for this board, why don't you get a new harley? You would fit in perfectly with the RUB crowd.

And I did 116 on my stocker this afternoon verified by GPS. Well nearly stocker and Pete 135 is with one of your ignitions that had been rewired with copper strand wire

Well, you have said it often enough and with your racing background, I believe you. I think that the convincer was the PAMCO. The same circuit and magnets are used in my CB750 ignition and that is mounted on the crank, so it goes twice as fast. I have had it up to 7,000 RPM on my '74 CB750, so that is equivalent to 14,000 RPM on the XS650, mounted on the cam shaft, so you certainly didn't run out of spark!

punckskaler had his 277 XS650 up to 12,000 RPM with a PAMCO before it blew, so we know that the engine can do the revs, if only briefly.

Back