Open Wheel Racing, Anyone?

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I see that there has been a bit of interest in F1 and Indycar in the past in the Lounge.

I'm curious if there currently are others who are closely following these two series.

Formula One is particularly interesting this year, with Nico The Brat gone, the cars being reshaped to actually look like race cars, Ferrari making a come-back, and Valtteri Bottas winning his first. And Alonso planning to miss Monoco, instead to run the Indy 500 !

I'm a fan of Rahal and Newgarden in Indycar.
With the Hondas being stronger, the competition is heating up.

2a4a3b6593dddff4f41628c835ec53f1.jpg

Many years ago, I used to go to the Super Modified races in Oswego NY state. That was fast racing! I remember the disc brakes would glow cherry red.
I did follow F1 racing when I was quite young. Some names from that time.................Colin Chapman/Jim Clarke with Lotus; Graham Hill, Phil Hill, Dan Gurney, Jackie Stewart and of course Sterling Moss. As a Canadian, I really liked Gilles Villeneuve and Jacques Villeneuve, as they both were very talented.

Great to hear from more fans of open wheel racing !
The Villeneuve racing family has for years been in my camera lens, as well as Paul Tracy, who I followed throughout his whole racing career.
RG, you and I might have been in the stands at Oswego Speedway at the same time; I frequented that circle track years ago, back in the illustrious days of Jim Shampine and Bentley Warren.
The Indy 500 should be an interesting event, this year.

It was a long time ago, but I do remember Jim Shampine and Bentley Warren. As I recall the cars burned alcohol, and the cars would exit a corner and hammer the throttle for the straight away..................the front left wheel would lift off the pavement and not come back down until half way down the straight away. Great memories!

It was a long time ago, but I do remember Jim Shampine and Bentley Warren. As I recall the cars burned alcohol, and the cars would exit a corner and hammer the throttle for the straight away..................the front left wheel would lift off the pavement and not come back down until half way down the straight away. Great memories!
Thats a great visual memory to share, RG !
So, I'm curious how you happened to attend the Oswego Speedway; did you live in this area at one time?

Bentley Warren 1989:
89Ben__Warren-Takes-4th-International.jpg

Yamadude...................I can still remember the smell of the alcohol fuel at Oswego!
Well, even though I live in Alberta now, I'm originally from southern Ontario. For about 7 years, my home was in Brockville, Ontario, but I was seldom there as I travelled all over Canada, working as an electronics technian. I had a brother-in-law, that was really into the local dirt track racing, but he got me interested in racing at Oswego. So, if I was home for a weekend, we would drive over to Oswego for the races.........................it wasn't a long drive.

Also, I used to go to the super modified races at Flamboro, near Hamilton, and Delaware near London, as I was sometimes working in those areas.

Living in Syracuse, you sure were close to Oswego. That area has some beautiful country, which is great for motorcycle riding. I used to go on motorcycle/camping trips down through New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Pennslyvania, New Jersey, Delaware and DC. I always enjoyed traveling in the USA.

Go Scott..............X pat Kiwi living in Oz. Been following Scott Dixon for years i recon he has been unrecognized, to a degree, because he wasn't American. His record stands alongside the greats and who knows how long he will keep going, another 4 or 5 years easy for a guy like him.

A feature length documentary on Scott Dixon and Chip Ganassi Racing is coming out later in the year............Back in the late 60's early 70's kiwis had a major presence in F1. Kiwis grew up with rallying in their blood, lots of gravel roads so the country was ideal for rally racing, spawned a generation of F1 racing drivers.

Now days a driver stays with a manufacturer for 2 min, drivers are pitted against one another or one driver favored with information from both cars when the second driver can't share the others information.

Ah found it Yamadude,I posted this link on another thread for Yamadude about Scott Dixon when he first started racing. Hope you don't mind me posting it here.What part of the country were you from 650Skull?. Marlborough here.

Ah found it Yamadude,I posted this link on another thread for Yamadude about Scott Dixon when he first started racing. Hope you don't mind me posting it here.What part of the country were you from 650Skull?. Marlborough here.
That sure was a scary moment in the Indy 500. I held my breath until it was clear that Scott was OK. Amazing that he recieved only "a few bumps and bruises".

anassi-racing-honda-jay-howard-schmidt-peterson-mo.jpg

anassi-racing-honda-crashes-helio-castroneves-team.jpg

90% of my customers are in NASCAR land so I usually make deliveries 4-5 times a year for the larger customers. Anything on 2 wheels sells back at these shops.
Got to walk around the F1 shop a bit. It's a significant contrast in security than their NASCAR shop next door. JGR, HMS and Penske you can almost freely walk around with an employee.

Hey RG--You bring up lots of memories about Oswego. I worked for Bentley for a few years when he did not drive the Heveron's. One of your countrymen that I liked was Warren Conium, Eddy Bellanger was a personal favorite. Going to Oswego from Ipswich, MA , I thought the Mass PIke would never end. The good old days, thanks for reminding me.
tim

IMG_0298.JPG
IMG_0299.JPG
What do you guys think? With this prototype take off?
Interestingly while at Dale Jr's JRM recently which is next door to TBR, I was told that Tommy Baldwin is being a 7NY back to Oswego with Lia driving?
I'm not up to speed with super mods.