Other Yamaha gauges

MacMcMacmac

Failed Hedonist.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I know MPH/RPM ratios on Japanese bikes are pretty much standardized, but what about tach ratios? Would another Yamaha cable driven tach read properly on an XS? I ask because a 550 Seca cluster would be an easy and tidy way to get a voltmeter on an XS. The fuel gauge and oil light wouldn't be much use though. Perhaps a GS or KZ oil pressure switch would do the trick? They were both low pressure roller bearing engines.

That Claybrook speedo would be a pain, but there's probably a workaround

s-l1600.jpg

Oooohhhh, I don't know Mac. I could see that 10,000 rpm redline causing some difficulties on an XS650....

Hi Mac,
AFAIK all XS series speedos have the same drive ratio and all XS series tachs do too except for the XS11 tach which is electric.

Nice. An upgrade path with stock Yamaha parts. There are fuel level sending units on Amazon for scooters that look like they might work if you have a dead tank you don't mind putting a hole in to try them out.
I've seen lots of oil pressure sending units with NPT ends that will go as low as you like as well.

Not to be mean, but an 80mph speedo on an XS is probably all you would need.......:laugh:

I'd bet a banana that a set of xs clocks would fit in those buckets.

I'll add that the speedo is prolly the same, save for the odo dial, as the EPA speedos on the xs's .......wonder what the speedo drive gear looks like on the Seca?

I just noticed - the Seca console says "Oil Level" but I doubt it is actually the level that idiot light indicates - more likely the oil pressure.

It never ceases to amaze me how the Beauty Police in vehicle companies manage get involved in these things and invariably mess them up.

EDIT - Boo-Boo correction: I just looked at the wikipedia post on the 1981 Yamaha Seca 550 and that idiot light marking is indeed, correct.

The light indicated low oil LEVEL and not oil pressure. I do recall at the time that the Seca was a very forward-looking and advanced bike. I particularly lusted after the 650 shaft drive version...

Anyhow, I stand corrected!

Pete

Last edited:
I'm thinking speedos are probably calibrated to front wheel size. If the Seca had a 19" front wheel then it would probably match and read correctly. If it has a 17" or 18", maybe not.

I just noticed - the Seca console says "Oil Level" but I doubt it is actually the level that idiot light indicates - more likely the oil pressure.

It never ceases to amaze me how the Beauty Police in vehicle companies manage get involved in these things and invariably mess them up.

EDIT - Boo-Boo correction: I just looked at the wikipedia post on the 1981 Yamaha Seca 550 and that idiot light marking is indeed, correct.

The light indicated low oil LEVEL and not oil pressure. I do recall at the time that the Seca was a very forward-looking and advanced bike. I particularly lusted after the 650 shaft drive version...

Anyhow, I stand corrected!

Pete
Viragos (at least the later 750's/1100's) have oil level lights. I don't think it adds much value - still best to get down low and see what's in the sight glass.

Back