overbore in order - Which pistons?

Jack, I'm guessing PJ forgot to take his thumb off that scale! Dave, the JE's are 77.5 mm., do the math. I don't know how many passes are required to remove .050" all the way around.

You called me Jack but that's a compliment, so I'll answer to it. Nikasil is, as you note, a plating process. The Bore Tech process impregnates the pores in the liner with silicon carbide without building up the surface. The treatment is around $75 per hole if I remember right, but it's been a few years.

Whoops, I was scanning back up to see who wrote what and I guess I got it wrong...

That is a lot more in the neighborhood I would consider paying.

I'm told you can do it on cast iron or steel. OEM's go aluminum because of the better heat transfer.

Exactly. Also for 2 stroke, more resistant to sezure. Somewhat harder for breakin. On a XS motor or any stee liner, you would have to bore a few xtra thousands to allow for the nik. Can't see a gain vs cost here.

I'm not really advocating it. My point was that at $75 a hole, Bore-Tech would be worth it, but if a person is rich enough to seriously consider it at $165, they may as well cough a few bucks more. I've seen it (Nikasil) advertised for just over $400 (for a twin). It's hardly exclusive to the 2 stroke world, that is just where it first became commonplace. I know the V-star 1100's (the aircooled one...) have it. If Yamaha thinks it is cost effective to run on a big bore cruiser like that, there must be real benefits.

I suppose you could go big: Nikasil plate the jugs sans sleeve :laughing:

Last edited:
Yeah, the price is higher now, but not by that much; I was referring to the silicon carbide treatment alone, if I remember right the tab for boring and treating both cylinders was a little south of $300 when I had them done. Did you really think treatment AND a precision bore job could be had for $75 per hole?! The usual tick for boring is $50 or more per cylinder to any random shop with a clapped-out boring bar in the back. The work from Bore Tech is in an entirely different league. You get what you pay for.

Sounded like a smoking deal. I imagine that $400 I saw for Nikasil doesn't include bore and hone either. So apples to apples we're comparing $75 to $115 for the treatment alone. That seems a bit more in line with the last few years of inflation - it is a shame my wages have not kept pace. Too rich for my blood at this point. Circumstances have a way of changing though, they always do, for bettor or worse.

Back