Paint in the UK

PeteP275

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been in touch with a recomended sprayer in the UK. Have spoken with him and he has asked for the original paint codes for the base and orange colour. This is for a 1971 XS1b Had a look on the forums but there seems to be different answers. Has anyone had there tin respryed in the UK with the candy Orange. Thanks Pete

Don’t believe the original paint codes (if they are even Available) will provide any useful information in terms of getting a paint match.

They are not like modern codes.

I’m sure there is someone here who has worked it out in the past as there have been quite a few nice ones owned/restored by members.

Search the archives.

Not a clue. The stuff I got for JP's tins is PPG. Has no numbers on it. Far as I know, the old Yamaha paint codes don't cross to a new number.
And if they do, I can't figure 'em out.

1708965178932.png

Dunno... they were shipped to me as PPG.

I painted my 72 in Citroën wicked red , closest colour I could find .
I think you would struggle to get an exact match so go with the closest you can get.

Attachments

• IMG_20140803_094954088.jpg
    IMG_20140803_094954088.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 13
I have mentioned it here before but they have some electronic device . At the paint shop ,A reader of some sort
Size as a cigarette pack .

I was looking for paint -- for kitchen cabinet doors .Old ones so even if I had the right paint from old It would not have matched
And used the same device for a cart to a bicycle.

That reader held against the object prints mixing codes That is fed into a mixing machine
X part of a Y parts of b and so on Rattles and Shakes the can
Perfect match not a chance to se the difference

This was for paint using a brush. But I would believe it would work for a spray paint also
One needs to have a spot with the color one wants
I did use the codes from a reader in one shop and bought the paint at a different shop.
Again perfect match

If you have tins with the original colour they can be scanned for the closest match.

I have mentioned it here before but they have some electronic device . At the paint shop ,A reader of some sort
Size as a cigarette pack .

That reader held against the object prints mixing codes That is fed into a mixing machine
X part of a Y parts of b and so on Rattles and Shakes the can
Perfect match not a chance to se the difference
What you are referring to is a colorometer which measures the different wavelengths of the light reflected from the paint.
Whilst I can see how that would work with a solid colour or perhaps a clear over base I'm not sure how it could differentiate the two layers where there is a base with tinted top coat.
Perhaps those more knowledgeable than I will know?

What you are referring to is a colorometer which measures the different wavelengths of the light reflected from the paint.
Whilst I can see how that would work with a solid colour or perhaps a clear over base I'm not sure how it could differentiate the two layers where there is a base with tinted top coat.
Thank you for that Sir
I will read it later
I was thinking in lines ( which may be wrong ) that the visible result would be the same
outwards and the base coat not important.
But there can be more to it than I know about

Went for an XS2 replica colour scheme on my '78 XS650SE. Didn't have any colour codes so I showed the painter some pictures and he kind of guessed. The tank is I believe silver with multiple layers of translucent orange applied over.

PICT1925.JPG

Last edited:
Yep, you're thinking is correct, the spectrophotometer, a machine to colour match paints can't determine a mix for 3 stage paints (ground/candy/lacquer). The final colour is very dependent on the ground coat, the mix ratio for the candy (%concentrate to %binder - unless buying a ready for use candy basecoat) and the number of coats applied, as well as how you set up your gun. So too many variables for a spectrophotometer. Getting the right colour is all down to a painter's experience, choice of ground/candy and doing a good number of spray out cards to achieve the desired end result. And that's just for a 3 stage paint. Wait till you try to colour match a 4 stage paint, as I've had to (like the Chromoshere Red on a Honda Fury) which has a specific ground coat, mid-coat and candy coat, before the lacquer unveils the final colour. Luckily those paints have a code, but even with the code it's all about how you apply each stage. I'm not aware of a Yam code for the colour you're looking for, well, not one that is transferable to today's paints, so when I do a customer's paint job like that I have no choice but to fall back on getting the best match from automotive schemes or trying to see if RS Bikepaints can help, but the latter is by no means a certainty. Sorry for this long doom and gloom speil.

Went for an XS2 replica colour scheme on my '79 XS650XE. Didn't have any colour codes so I showed the painter some pictures and he kind of guessed. The tank is I believe silver with multiple layers of translucent orange applied over.

View attachment 262628
Yes, that's most likely the case. The choice of silver colour is also key to the final colour, and the flake size matters too.

Back