paint or powdercoat, spoked wheel

jetero41

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Powder coat or paint, that is the question. Spoked wheels, what the hell do you do?
also before or after assembly? Definitely want black spokes and hubs.
Also who has the best deal on replacement spoke kits?
Speak up all
Thanks

For the hub and rim I would use Powdercoat, I have had many wheels done in various colours and always been happy with the outcome..

Remember to remove all bearings and seals..

Powder coating spokes can be a issue as the spoke may not fit back through the hub, I would maybe look at getting them anodised.

I'd paint them. I'm not a powdercoat fan. Today's urethane paints are as strong as powdercoat, not as thick, easier to repair, and have a better finish, IMO. I've had to assemble some bikes that have had powdercoat, and it's just a pain sometimes. I don't know about the best deal on spokes, but you'll want to fully assemble, mask, then paint. Just my .02. Here's a pic of painted black spoked wheels on my friends bike.

Attachments

• IMG_9110.JPG
    IMG_9110.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_9109.JPG
    IMG_9109.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 416
powder coat will be far cheaper than urethane. i'm not against paint, but urethane costs some money - even spraying it yourself. if money was tight i would spend the cash on good spokes, then powder coat.

Tech7, you seem to know what you're talking about with paint, whats a good brand of urethane that isn't going to break the bank? looking to DIY the side covers and tank this summer.

don't mean to hijack the thread but jetero41 could benefit if he decided to paint

Painting black is cheap. I like PPG products. I use the Concept line. It's a single stage urethane. I could spend about $150 and get enough material to spray Everything on one bike. I used less than a quart of actual paint on my bike. Frame, 2 fenders, triple trees, fork legs, and a BUNCH of small parts. The idea is to spray a lot of parts at the same time, so you don't waste any mixed, unused paint. As far as inexpensive, Dupont may be cheaper, also good stuff. I have been tempted to try some of the stuff you can find online, like TCPglobal. $75 for a gallon kit seems too good to be true. And it would be a lot of work to correct bad paint, stripping, then painting again. Maybe one day, when I have an extra $75, I'll experiment.

Thanks
Sooooo if paint , assemble first
if PC , PC first then assemble
and the debate goes on over which to use
please look at suppliers of "reasonable" spoke sets

Back