Painted Gun Parts

InfamousXS

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know there are a lot of gun enthusiests on the board so figured this would be a good place to post my question. I have been an avid shooter for a few years now and have been shooting a lot of 22's lately. I started rebuilding a 10/22 plinker and wanted to paint the receiver and stripped trigger assembly. I have read a lot of good things about Cerakote but I wanted to see if anyone on here has used it before.

I have seen a fair number of competitor brands (duracoat, gunkote, etc) so if anyone has used any of those, let me know the results.

Of course if anyone has a blued/black 10/22 receiver and trigger assembly they want to trade, that works better :thumbsup:

I met a guy in Arkansas who painted his rifle by using camouflage colors and laying little leaves and ferns and etc on it to block one coat or another. It looked great. He said he had to do it twice, the first time was figuring out a technique. It wasn't a 10-22, but was a short 9mm semi-auto you can buy that has the bolt lever on the left side. I forget what it's called but it's pretty common.

I have heard of people using just a high temp rattle can but wanted to see if anybody has done anything "better". Seeing as it is just a .22 I will most likely just prep it using a fine sand in a sandblaster, degrease and try using the rattle can.

Maybe it wouldn't need to be high temp. I have an old Glenfield .22 I like which has a blued steel barrel and an aluminum receiver that's either painted or powder coated black. A shiny black but thick.

How much is the cerakote/duracoat/gunkoat? If it's not too expensive, I would give it a shot. It's got to be better than just regular spray paint since it's specifically for guns. Is this something you want to do yourself or send out to have done? I have several guns, but have never painted any of them. They are all black or stainless.

60 for a pint, 95 for a quart or 298 for a gallon plus shipping. I have no idea how many parts you can spray with each size since I have never used a real paint setup. It is just like spray paint with a gun and compressor, I just don't have the supplies to do it. I have not read a bad thing about the product and the testing they have done (if it is all true) shows that it outlasts any other type of paint or coating. I know I cant do it myself so I would need to send it out to somebody.

Everything you could ever need to know is on their website and they have a nice guide on how to properly apply and cure it.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/

I've been doing some reading about the cerakote. It sounds like some good stuff. If you go that route, having someone who is familiar with the product spray your gun would probably be the best route. They'll know how to properly prep the surfaces to be sprayed and know where to coat and where to leave bare to keep the gun functioning like it should.

Do you have a stainless 10/22 receiver now, or is it painted gray? I have a gray receiver with a stainless barrel and would like a stainless receiver.

And a little plug for what seems to be a great company - Glenrock Blue. Will be sure to post pictures when everything is said and done but EXCELLENT customer service and communication thus far.

Back