Painting headers?

The way I understand it is that header wrap can hold moisture against the metal causing them to rust faster. That's why you would clean and paint them before wrapping them, the paint is what's protecting the metal from moisture, the wrap is just for the heat.

The way I understand it is that header wrap can hold moisture against the metal causing them to rust faster. That's why you would clean and paint them before wrapping them, the paint is what's protecting the metal from moisture, the wrap is just for the heat.

Right, but if you have good solid chrome then there wouldn't really be a need to paint correct?

If you paint the outside, you had better paint the inside.....volcanic wrap is the best if you want to wrap for THAT LOOK. It does not hold moisture.

Chrome has good rust resistance. However, quality custom chroming is very expensive. I was shown around my local chrome guys shop. The process is loooooooong. Also you have to be careful when doing up nuts etc not to crack the nickel under the chrome. Thats was gives it the rust resistant seal. Powder coating is literally 1/3 the cost of custom chroming, even with ceramic powder coats, and if you've just had something perfectly chromed why cover it in wrap?

Back