Painting over oil level window.

Yes, although there have been reports of the window not being 100% accurate, it shouldn't be that far off.

On my old '83 with the sight window,
Screwed all the way in would read at the upper line. Resting on the threaded section would read between the lines.
Oil sight glass would oftimes make me double check that there was oil........and there was.
Now, before I ride after she's been sitting, I unscrew the dipstick and check. If it's at the top line I know it's good. No need to wipe and set it on the threads when you know both settings. If I'm changing the oil I'll rest it on the threaded section because the dipstick is already out, and check at that setting.
Other opinions may vary.........

Correct way to check level is with bike on main stand, this way the bike tilts to the correct position if on a level surface, standing on wheels oil is in the back of the motor and you are unable to get the correct level unless you remark dipstick for this position, easy enough to do.

Yep painted it over years ago filled in the Yamaha in the cover with bondo as well. Brit bikes didn't have that fancy stuff.

Hi Trumpy,
not that Britbikes ain't a joy to ride once you get 'em started but there's all manner of stuff they don't have, eh?
Like oil that don't leak on the driveway, an E-start that works and electrics not made by the Prince of Darkness.
But to be so ashamed to ride an XS650 that you'd take the effort to bondo-fill it's ID, that's just plain wrong.
BTW, I can't see my XS650's oil window without a mirror on a stick because the sidecar blocks the straight-on view so I ignore it's reading.
As could you, no painted bondo needed.

Last edited:
Thanks Kevski. Problem solved.
I would of never thought putting the bike on the center stand would make that much difference than just balancing it upright.
Now dip stick shows mid way between the low mark and full ,and sight glass shows 1/3 above the low mark. Close enough.

Thanks Kevski. Problem solved.
I would of never thought putting the bike on the center stand would make that much difference than just balancing it upright.
Now dip stick shows mid way between the low mark and full ,and sight glass shows 1/3 above the low mark. Close enough.
You are welcome that's why most of us are here, to offer snippets that help us to keep these old beasties going, probably only needs about a pint to top it up now.

Yes, I've relied on the site windows on both mine for years to at least tip me off that the oil may be getting low. If so indicated, I'll do an actual dip stick check to get a true reading. Years back I tried the 15w-40 diesel oil because it was all the rage. I didn't like it because of the increased topend clatter the lower weight allowed. So now I'm stuck with this big jug of the stuff and wondering what to do with it, lol. So, I've started using it for top-ups between oil changes. I'll use it all up eventually, lol.

Yes, I've relied on the site windows on both mine for years to at least tip me off that the oil may be getting low. If so indicated, I'll do an actual dip stick check to get a true reading. Years back I tried the 15w-40 diesel oil because it was all the rage. I didn't like it because of the increased topend clatter the lower weight allowed. So now I'm stuck with this big jug of the stuff and wondering what to do with it, lol. So, I've started using it for top-ups between oil changes. I'll use it all up eventually, lol.

Hi 5twins,
add ~25% straight 50weight oil to it to thicken it up a bit.

Back