What color should these tins be?

• Candy green and white a la XS1

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Candy gold and white a la XS1

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
They're made over in your part of the world Rob. Close enough to go visit 'em maybe??

Didn't see a capacity on it. I'll look a little closer here in a bit and let you know.

1694185069921.png

Last edited:
Had rust remover in this tank for 2 days now. No weeping at any seams... so Im'a call it good. :cautious:

View attachment 253386

And started on this one also....

View attachment 253387

EDIT:
I originally took the lower photo for the very pretty 1973 electric blue, gold and white colour scheme - very snazz - but as pointed out below by Marty, it is actually a 1977 XS650D in the very handsome Bountiful Blue scheme. :rock:

I think that in 1973 Yamaha called the bike a TX650...although I may have that wrong. They were in the midst of their "Be patient with us as we are still searching for a model designator plan and branding scheme, phase....".

Anyhow, IMO, it is a toss-up between the '73 TX650 colours and the 1975 XS650B black, gold and white as to which is the prettiest factory paint scheme ever put on a bike.

...and by golly, that Jim sure can paint 'em. His work is just beyond perfection.

Pete

Last edited:
Oooohhhh - I do like that 1973 electric blue, gold and white colour scheme - very snazz! :rock: I think that year, Yamaha called the bike a TX650...although I may have that wrong. They were in the midst of their "Be patient with us as we are still searching for a model designator plan and branding scheme, phase....".

Anyhow, IMO, it is a toss-up between the TX650 colours and the 1975 XS650B black, gold and white as to which is the prettiest factory paint scheme ever put on a bike.

...and by golly, that Jim sure can paint 'em. His work is just beyond perfection.

Pete
Just to nitpick, the decal says it’s a 1977 in Bountiful Blue. Also pretty, IMHO.

:poke:

Just to nitpick, the decal says it’s a 1977 in Bountiful Blue. Also pretty, IMHO.

:poke:

Oh gosh - you are right Marty - sorry about that boo-boo which I have corrected above.

That '77 scheme is nice too, though I am partial to the '73....

1697654344858.png

Now I just buzz over it with a brown Roloc/scotchbrite disk on a die grinder. Doesn't do much... but it's enough.
I think the key is a good quality 2 part epoxy primer. Make sure and do the best wipedown with lacquer thinner you can. Cleanliness is always important... and more so it seems when working with chrome.

So everyone knows, the Special tank that Jim did is a work of art. I did not realize at the time that the tank contours emphasize the Special side covers and drop stepped seat contours. After a side by side picture 6 months later I had an "Ah Ha" moment... An extra gallon in a standard tank will not hurt chasing the Rally crew through Arkansas or Tennessee either...
20231001_145541.jpg

Last edited:
Your comment disappeared @atom4488 :umm:
Made better use of the search function...I wanted a refresher on how you prep chrome for paint. I found the answer further back in the thread. I think I have a reasonable stock of those Rolox flapper wheels, fringe benefits of working in an aviation-related business ;). I also have that sort of a wheel for a bench grinder.

Back