Pamco 277 no spark left side

RCGRT

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I finally got my 277 motor together and tied up all the odd and ends of the build. As of now I've started it at least 25 times. Rode it around the block a few times, and one approx 30 mile ride. It's sat now for 3 days. It's kick only, Hugh's pma, pamco, green monster coils, and a capacitor. I just went out to check my timing, and got nothing out of my timing light on the left cylinder, sure enough left cylinder is cold. I've read so much about fried coils taking the pamco out, that I'm scared to even turn it over for fear of killing the pamco. Hopefully I haven't already. It ran for maybe a minute before I realized I had a cold cylinder. Between the cold cylinder and the timing light not firing I'm guessing I have no spark. Any one have any ideas where I should start trouble shooting? I gave a quick look over my wiring, didn't find anything obvious or loose. Nothing looks fried or odd on the pamco plate. And I did not kick it with the coil leads disconnected leaving nowhere for the coils to fire... Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

First check to make sure you have power to both coils. If you have power to both coils swap plugs between the 2 cylinders. If this doesn't change anything then swap plug wires. If still no change then swap coils. At some point the problem is going to follow a certain component unless you did in fact kill one side of the Pamco.

Gotcha! I'm just scared to fire the thing up in fear of frying the pamco if I haven't already...

If you have a badly fouled plug, not only will that cylinder not work, but the timing light won't work either, so I would suggest changing plugs.

First thing I will try after work Pete! However I did take that plug and put it in a little 140 dirt bike and gave it a few kicks, I was seeing a spark, it wasn't a monster spark, but was sparking.
Thanks

So before I change my plugs, and give it another try, any suggestions on checks to prevent running the bike with a bad coil.
I really do NOT want to fry the Pamco
Also, since the green coils are so big, and I have read how they are not the most reliable, any suggestions to a good alternative as far as two other single fire coils?

Thanks

Back