pamco and plugs!!

tonytorque

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
finaly ordered a pamco, already run one point system with a 17-6822 coil and 5 ohm resistor caps with iridium plugs, my question is; witch plug to run, the iridium or the bp7es
when I run the pamco .

greetzzz t.t

Tony,

Well, the Iridiums are also a resistor spark plug, so using them with a 5 K cap and that particular coil is probably not a good idea. I would suggest using the stock NGK BP7ES plug with 5 K caps and the 17-6822 coil.

Robhall,

Well, nothing bad is going to happen, but neither is something good going to happen. The Iridium tip is designed to get very hot without melting to promote the emission of electrons from the tip to the ground electrode. To be effective, there should be a supply of extra current, more than you will get from a stock coil or a coil like the 17-6822.

The dual output coil circuit is a series circuit from one plug coil connection, through the cap resistance (5K) through the spark plug (5K) through the engine head to the other plug, through that plug (5K) and the its cap (5K) and back to the coil. That's a total of 20,000 Ohms not counting the resistance of the coil itself, so once the gap is bridged, the current decreases dramatically to the point where the advantage of the Iridium plug is no longer available. To over come this you can use a coil with a higher output, like the 17-6903, which has about twice the voltage as the 17-6822 or use non resistor caps.

If you are going to use non resistor caps, then use resistor plugs if you decide to switch back to standard plugs, like the NGK BPR7ES.

Also, the dual output coil produces a positive voltage on one wire and a negative voltage on the other. Electrons come from the negative wire, so only the plug that is connected to the negative wire is really going to be more efficient.

Ok that makes sense. I'm using the 17-6903 coil with the resistor caps and iridium plugs. I might have to go pick up a pair or non-resistor caps today or tomorrow.

Wait, here's a thought. I imagine I could use the caps from my old points setup right?

Pete, just out of curiosity, what do you think would work better with the 5k caps? the iridiums or standard BP7es?

Robhall,

Well, you started off by saying you were using the 17-6822 coil, but now it looks like you are using the 17-6903 with the PAMCO. That coil produces enough voltage that you can use both the 5K caps and the Iridiums which would work better than the BP7ES's and 5K caps. Better would still be 1K caps with the Iridiums. 1K caps because I think that is all that MikesXS sells, but in answer to your question, you could use the stock 0 Ohm caps, but I would measure their resistance to be sure they have not deteriorated after 35 years. I know that I have deteriorated after 35 years...:shrug:

Ok good deal. Actually the OP is using the 17-6822, I just chimed in with similar curiosity. Thanks for your help!

Back