Pamco from Mikes - Pamco High Output Electronic Ignition Kit

NTPete

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Looking for some technical support: I have a Pamco ignition fitted to my 76 XS. Last week end it just stopped, coughing and popping. It wouldn't restart. I have checked timing and then spark. The spark is there but very weak, and I am assuming that it's not strong enough under compression to work. So is it the Coil or the Hall effects unit, I have checked connections and earthing?

Thanks for the wisdom. :)

Pete

Have you checked your battery and charging system to see if they are working

Last edited:
A weak spark is most often from weak coils. The Hall Effect transistor is just a trigger. As the magnets in the rotor pass the Hall Effect transistor it just turns on/off. This creates a signal to the rest of the Pamco. The Pamco uses this signal to determine engine position.
Check the voltage at the coil, it should read very close to battery voltage.
When you installed the PMA did you run the bike with the Pamco hooked to a separate battery while you tested the PMA for proper voltages?
Leo

Not the numbers I was looking for between the two HT leads. The Multi meter should be showing 15 to 20,000 Ohm. Looks like a new coil from GeoffsXS. Remember if you run a Pamco HV coil DONT turn your engine over without the plugs in the leads and the plugs earthed or the insulation in the coil WILL fail catastrophically. At 75 to 82kV and no path to earth it just cooks the insulation in the High Tension side of the coil. There is a test procedure at the link below which is pretty simple to follow: http://www.mikesxs.net/pamco/IgnitionCoilTesting.html

A weak spark is most often from weak coils. The Hall Effect transistor is just a trigger. As the magnets in the rotor pass the Hall Effect transistor it just turns on/off. This creates a signal to the rest of the Pamco. The Pamco uses this signal to determine engine position.
Check the voltage at the coil, it should read very close to battery voltage.
When you installed the PMA did you run the bike with the Pamco hooked to a separate battery while you tested the PMA for proper voltages?
Leo
Thanks XSLeo, it was all set up by an Auto Sparkie. I've found a test procedure for the coil and that's my next step.

Back