PAMCO help

Tom

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, got a PAMCO from a freind and i think it might be cooked. No spark and the board looks like it’s seen better days. Can you guys tell from the photo? I’m gettting 12v to the red wire there.

Attachments

• C1BEBB3B-16F7-4E85-A1CC-96D39C7ED520.jpeg
    C1BEBB3B-16F7-4E85-A1CC-96D39C7ED520.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 18290FE3-EA56-46F7-ABAA-5B29F2193046.jpeg
    18290FE3-EA56-46F7-ABAA-5B29F2193046.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 137
Tom,
That is a very early PAMCO. An original. It looks OK to me. Why do you think it has been cooked? Try cleaning up the little insulating washer and the mica insulator as dirt may have gotten in there and cause a short. You can also try using some contact cleaner on the apparent accumulation of old rosin around the components.

Tom,
That is a very early PAMCO. An original. It looks OK to me. Why do you think it has been cooked? Try cleaning up the little insulating washer and the mica insulator as dirt may have gotten in there and cause a short. You can also try using some contact cleaner on the apparent accumulation of old rosin around the components.
Good to know Pete. I wired it all up with a brand new Emgo dual coil and no spark, even when tested with the locating pin removed. I'm going to go through and test the coil again tonight based on your website. Are there other tests i can perform on the PAMCO through a multi meter to confirm functionality?

Tom,

Hi again Pete. Tested the new coil and it tested fine (4phm and 22k, all others infinite) from your website test using old 5k caps. I have new ones on the way just in case.

It’s wired as:
Red/white power from kill switch and red from Pamco onto (+) coil terminal

Green from Pamco onto (-) terminal.

Black to known frame ground, same as what battery is going to.

Should I swap the coil wires around to test? Or should i assume the coil is ok and buy a new Pamco?

Thanks in advance

There is a test for the coil on www.yamahaxs650.com . The current price for the basic PAMCO is $79.95 which is about $20 less than the original. The basic PAMCO is only available on the web site, www.yamahaxs650.com. Test the coil very carefully to be sure it will not damage the new PAMCO. If you can wait a few days, coils will also be available on my site if you need one.

There is a test for the coil on www.yamahaxs650.com . The current price for the basic PAMCO is $79.95 which is about $20 less than the original. The basic PAMCO is only available on the web site, www.yamahaxs650.com. Test the coil very carefully to be sure it will not damage the new PAMCO. If you can wait a few days, coils will also be available on my site if you need one.

Thanks Pete. I tested it using your website method and it’s fine. I already have the rotor, should i get another or just get the plate? I’m in Australia so it will probally take a while to get here!

Are there no other tests to confirm funtionality other than the spark test?

Tom,
With the new pricing I recently introduced, the complete system, plate and rotor is only $20 more than the plate only. Shipping to Australia is $35 USD, and the rotor you have is probably a 90 degree rotor. If it turns out that you also need the rotor, then that will cost $20 plus $35 for a second shipment if you order the plate only now.

Back