Pamco ignition fine, now having issues with E Advance

79Standard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Been chasing idle issues for a while and narrowed down to a worn out and sticky ATU. Tried new springs from Mikes and couldn't get the proper tension, plus the weights were pretty worn anyways. Figured I'd go with a Pamco E advance since I've already got the ignition and love it.

Anyways, the bike will start, but to keep it running the sensor has to be all the way advanced and the idle screw is in much further than it should be just to keep idling.

Any ideas? I have 60 degree rotor, both pins are there for the advance replacer thing, and it worked fine (except for the sticky advance) prior to installing the e advance. I seem to remember seeing a thread a while ago with the same issues, but can't find it any under of the search terms I've used

Last edited:
79Standard,

There are three pins for the advance rod and replacement cap. One on each end of the advance rod and the third in the hole in the cam shaft on the right side used to locate the advancer or in this case, the advancer replacement cap.

Also, you must use a timing light to set the timing.

I have only one pin on my advance rod, though there are holes for two. my pin is and was in the large of the two. one hole is beveled, and one is not.

I did use a timing light also.

Last edited:
79Standard,

OK. Just to clarify. You only have one pin? Is that correct? There should be a pin in both ends of the advance rod and a third pin in the hole in the cam on the right side to position the advancer replacement cap.

i have two pins, one on the advance rod and one on the cam. there is a hole for a second pin on the advance rod, though one was not installed, and i don't see how two pins on the advance rod would fit with the stock ATU. that notched disk that sits on the advance rod is slotted for one pin.

79Standard,

OK. Do you also have a pin on the left end of the advance rod, the PAMCO rotor end of the advance rod for a total of three pins?

79Standard,

OK. Do you also have a pin on the left end of the advance rod, the PAMCO rotor end of the advance rod for a total of three pins?

yes, should have read that closer. two pins on the advance rod, on on the sensor side, and one on the advance side, plus the pin on the cam on the advance side.

Take a closer read of the instructions as perhaps you have missed something in the installation. www.yamahaxs650.com

You can also try loosening the two nuts on either end of the advance rod and turn the rotor clockwise and hold it in that position as you retighten the nuts to gain some additional room for advance.

still not having any luck with the e advance. spent all afternoon double checking everything- 60 degree rotor installed on advance rod before inserting, all locating pins are in place, sensor is wired to advance, advance connected to coil properly. something doesn't seem right, now when sensor is at full advance, the mark on the rotor is still to the right of the timing marks. can't even get it to be in range.

any suggestions? out of things to double check

79standard,

Just a review. Moving the sensor plate clockwise advances it. Also, the timing light works best with a negative voltage plug wire. Only one of the plug wires is negative. Try the other plug wire.

yes, sensor is turned fully clockwise to full advance. timing light is on the correct wire, switching to the other wire gives a double image of the timing mark.

Hi Pete, I'm having the same exact issues since I installed the e advancer, pamco ignition has to be at full advance position for timing mark to be at fire mark at 1200rpm

Back