Pamco ignition static timing advice needed please help

RichardxRose

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have an older model pamco ignition with E advance on my 77 chopper build. Trying to static time it but my version of the ignition has no reference marks. Missing out on all the summer riding and I desperately need advice. I need to diagnose whether or not I'm missing parts to my ignition, how to properly find TDC, and advice on static timing and maybe even position of the cam shaft. Pamcopete or somebody from mikes XS please respond, I wanna ripride. Respond on here or call my personal phone, will provide number. Thanks!

Here is a search list..........Static timing.............http://www.xs650.com/search/3654121/?q=Static+timing&o=relevance

If you dont have a timing mark on your PMA then you will need to redo the PMA setup and mark it with TDC.........That's about all i can do to help.

Use the search feature....and play around with the words and don't just use the restrict the search as a heading

I don't think you can static time a Pamco. Basically, you install it at about the center of it's adjustment range, which is close enough usually for it to start, then fire it up and time it with a timing light. But, since you failed to make a new TDC or timing marks when you installed the PMA, you can't set anything, not timing, not valves, nothin'.

5Twins is essentially correct.

Suggest that you temporarily reinstall the factory alternator rotor for timing purposes and use a battery to power the PAMCO . The engine should start if you position the PAMCO plate at about its mid range position. Once started, use a timing light to set the timing to the stock timing marks. You cannot use static timing with the E-Advancer as it is very dynamic and is constantly searching for the engine speed to set the advance if you just try turning the engine by hand.

After you have set the timing as suggested, you can use the strobe to locate the timing mark on the PMA rotor for future reference, but that will only be reliable if you have a woodruff key to secure the PMA rotor to the crank shaft, something that is not always there with the various PMA "setups".

Back