pamco ignition trouble

masonxs650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
IMG_0452.JPG
so i just had a fresh top end rebuild done and i decided to install mikes pma high output kit plus pamco standard ignition, im also using a motogadget m unit but when turn on the switch that powers the m unit my ignition explodes ive gone through two so far im not sure whats going wrong as i've ran both from a stand alone battery any help would be much appreciated because i dont feel like throwing another $100 down the drain on another pamco. it seems both of the transistors blew not sure what the problem is.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I've seen a thread where a Pamco with that same issue was repaired for like $2. You can find that part at radio shack. As to why it's doing that, I don't know. Are you using the recommended 7.5 fuse to protect the Pamco?

Take a look here
http://www.xs650.com/threads/pamco-repair.46192/
thanks for the thread that was very informative and no i dont have a fuse i was unaware of that

No sweat, I'd definitely try to repair those before buying another one. If successful you'll have a spare back up.

As you're finding out Pamco's are very sensitive. Search some diagrams on here and you'll see you need to run a 7.5a fuse between the Pamco and the battery.

As part of Motogadget's marketing, they like to point out that fuses are not needed. They say their product has electronic circuit breakers to interrupt any excessive loads. They don't say how much current is allowed to pass before the circuit breaker opens the circuit. The 7.5 amp fuse should be used.
Perhaps Pamcopete will read this thread, or you can try to contact him.

No sweat, I'd definitely try to repair those before buying another one. If successful you'll have a spare back up.

As you're finding out Pamco's are very sensitive. Search some diagrams on here and you'll see you need to run a 7.5a fuse between the Pamco and the battery.
yes very sensitive indeed, i ordered two transistors so i will definitely try to repair them before i purchase another one. ill look into running that fuse, i was just unaware as ive never seen anyone else running one especially on a seperate battery for the first start

Going off memory a Pamco needs a coil between 2.5 and 4.5 ohms. Also should add leaving the key on without running will fry a Pamco quickly.

Going off memory a Pamco needs a coil between 2.5 and 4.5 ohms. Also should add leaving the key on without running will fry a Pamco quickly.

This is more true when using the Green Monster Coils.......Pamcopete dosen't recommend using the Green Monster coils with the Pamco Unit.

Quote from Pamcopete ........Pamcopete,......OK. This question has been asked before, so here is the answer. 12 minutes. That's the time it takes for the coil to get to a temperature of 125 F, which is about 10F higher than it would get to with the engine running. That is also starting off at room temperature, so probably no more than 10 minutes if the coil is already warmed up from the engine running. This is not the time to destruction. Just the time to a particular temperature above normal operating temperature. The transistor in the PAMCO never got above 90F and it is rated for 347F, so no worries there. It's the coil that would eventually fry, and if it shorts out as well, then it may take the PAMCO with it.
Not leaving the ignition on is also an issue with points if you are unlucky enough to have a set of points closed when you turn on the power. Same is true with the PAMCO. The coil is only on for 120/360 = 33% of the time.
If you are dong some other work on the electrical system that requires power to be on, then just turn off the kill switch and you can leave the ignition switch on till the battery dies.

Note: The 12 minutes was from an actual test using a 17-6903 "Ultimate" coil. Your results may differ with a different coil. The test was done by a professional ignition guru on a closed course. Do not try at home

The above post by 650skull is correct. In addition, use of the infamous "Green monster" coil voids the warranty as it has a tendency to short internally, leading to the destruction of the driver transistor, as is your case. I'm not familiar with the Motogadget power manager, but it could be possible that you have applied power directly to the green wire to the PAMCO witch will instantly fry the transistor. All PAMCO products are tested prior to shipping and most of the warranty claims are created from an installation issue. However, the warranty policy is fairly liberal, although I am not, so PM me for a warranty.

can anybody thats running a motogadget m unit shed some light on how you have your ignition system wired? pete hasnt gotten back to me yet as im sure he's busy, i repaired one of the units and im looking to give this another shot and dont want to mess up, any help is appreciated, thanks !

Last edited:
Can't help you, as I haven't wired my bike, but can you post the resolution when you get it? I'm running the same set up eventually!

I suggest you contact whoever sold you the motogadget unit. Part of the money you paid for the unit, is for customer technical service. They claim that the unit has the ability to interrupt any high current. Well , seems that didn't work very well for you. Lets say your ignition components burn up at 10 amps, as an example. If the motogadget unit does not break the circuit until 15 or 20 amps flow, then the motogadget has allowed your ignition to burn up. You need to ask them what the exact current flow is that their electronics will open the circuit, and why it did not work to protect your ignition. Be sure to report back in this same thread, so that we can all educate ourselves.

I assume your Moto Gadget has instructions. I also assume it has outputs for each item you hook to it. Any ignition needs about 13.5 volts to operate. The major thing that needs the power is the coil.
What voltage does the ignition output on your Moto Gadget have? If much over about 14.5 volts it can damage an ignition. Much less than about 10 volts some won't function.
Now if your Moto Gadget has the proper output then you probably wired things up improperly.
On the Pamco the red wire on the Pamco is the power wire. On the coil you branch off the red wire to one terminal of the coil. The green wire to the other side of the coil. Black to ground.
A Pamco wires up this way irregardless of the way power is supplied. The red wire that supplies power to both the coil and Pamco hook to the Moto Gadget ignition output.
On your Moto Gadget, what is the amperage the ignition output protected by? If not by about 7.5 amps then you might want to add a fuse.
Leo

Back