Pamco ignition

newbie77

Not new to bikes. Just new to an XS
Reaction score
Ok. So I’ve read a bunch of posts on here and YES, I know that Pete has retired. My question is this, does anyone do any repairs on his boards? I picked up an ignition in a box of parts that I bought and the PO said he burnt one of the resistors or chips on the board. Was wondering if I can get it fixed? TIA

Well
Many things can be fixed and serviced
When it comes to electronics it can be a 10 cent component and it can be a controller with a program in it .
If you go with a mobile Phone here to someone he charges ca $ 30 for even start look at it .
And leaving no guarantee it will ever work again aka Money down the drain.
So not knowing what Pamco or how it looks sometimes one can spot a burnt component.
So the general answer is it can be fixed but the price can be high.
I believe that is why the entire boards are replaced in cars
the fault finding is possible but it takes to long time and needs an experienced better educated service man
It is simpler to connect a device reading out the error code and then replace the entire board.

Ok. So I’ve read a bunch of posts on here and YES, I know that Pete has retired. My question is this, does anyone do any repairs on his boards? I picked up an ignition in a box of parts that I bought and the PO said he burnt one of the resistors or chips on the board. Was wondering if I can get it fixed? TIA
You'll have to look for it but someone had a post and maybe even a video about fixing a Pamco. I don't know the details and I'm not an electronics guy but I do remember seeing it.

59ABEB45-A6D9-4E66-B318-C4017426AE9E.jpeg
2260F7C1-65CF-453F-9414-799997917BFC.jpeg

here’s my ignition. The PO told me this resistor or chip burnt out. Something about it not being grounded or something like that. Anyone have any options for me?

Electrical fault finding.
An art in itself but interesting
I would check the black square ones with a screw holding them down
Google transistor fault finding
Perhaps there are numbers stamped on them.
Do you have instruments and power supply
Larger clearer picture ?

Is it two identical branches ,,then comparison between them can be Possible

I don’t know for sure but I think that I don’t. It’s pretty rough. Doesn’t even have all of the components of the charging system installed. Ippy, why would that matter?

The pamco you have has 2 pick ups on it (meant for a rephased motor). A standard motor only needs 1 (it is a wasted spark ignition). If you know which one is good you can use that one (in the correct spot on the backing plate of course) and have a standard pamco electronics. You may need to find a standard pamco rotor though

Need to check the engine so both pistons are up at the same time
( Not rephased )
And if it is 2 identical pick ups --- the fault finding strategy would be power it up and compare between them

118116FB-39A1-4A71-B681-9FC17E7481B7.jpeg
7D2EEFB2-FBDE-4E33-96BD-E6A3C496D1B5.jpeg
Ok so it’s a stock engine. It’s not rephased. I know I’m a little sad too. Oh well. Piston and cylinder walls look good though. And I have a stock ignition as well. Points up top. I don’t have a rotor though. So can I put my Hughs Handbuilt PMA on this set up?
A6119E96-124E-419E-BC44-B05F83726B77.jpeg

That thing there in the big picture is the rotor so perhaps the stator is missing
Hughs has different setups but my guess is that it is usable. Made for it

Back