Pamco instal questions

cbhench2015

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm installing a pamco on my xs650. Just a couple quick questions.

One, how tight so I tighten the nut in the magnetic rotor side to the advance shaft? Tight enough so I can't open and close the advanced weights by hand or should it be just snug so I can twist open the advanced flyweights by hand by turning the magnetic rotor?

Also, I fired it up after installing and a pma setup. I get large backfires through exhaust on acceleration. It idles well just backfires out exhaust when under load accelerating. I set the pamco to the best starting point by following the photos I've found on the forum as well.

Thank you so much guys.

Great! Hadn't seen that video before. Thank you.
That's what I was thinking as well, timing. It just seemed strange because it almost seemed like it was much further off than it should have been at the starting point that's recommended. I'll check timing today. Thank you! I was thinking maybe the pin in the advance rod was installed on the wrong side or something like that since my magnet rotor only has one jetway not being a rephase setup.

Before you mess with timing, get the weights to spring like in the video. If they were to tight the advance rod would be binding in the camshaft causing issues. Make sure the advanced rod was greased as well.

okay did all of that. advance now snaps back into place nice and smoothly when I twist it. The nut for the magnet trigger was too tight. However no difference, when I put in gear and roll forward under load theres insane backfire out exhaust. I set the pamco plate to the correct starting point according to pamcopete recommendation photos. Do you think theres a chance the bikes timing baseline may be different than most bikes...? Just seems weird but maybe Im wrong! Its my first pamco instal. Ive done different setups but wanted to finally try pamco!

cbhench2015,

The pictured plate position is just a starting point that allows you to start the engine. You still have to adjust the timing with a strobe type timing light and check for advance at idle and full advance at 3200 RPM.

Thanks Pete. Ill go ahead and set timing now.

Thanks for being so responsive guys. Great community. I look forward to being part of it more.

Back