PAMCO Issues

Troyarboc

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Having some issues with the PAMCO ignition, but I have not had any luck getting ahold of Pete so I figured I would try here. I installed the ignition on my bike but sadly it arched and shorted out one of the transistors. Now my bike will only run on one cylinder. The unit is still within warranty & it looks like I need to have it replaced.

If anyone knows how to get ahold of Pete, please let me know. I have sent him an message to every email he has listed on his site, but no luck. HELP.

Having some issues with the PAMCO ignition, but I have not had any luck getting ahold of Pete so I figured I would try here. I installed the ignition on my bike but sadly it arched and shorted out one of the transistors. Now my bike will only run on one cylinder. The unit is still within warranty & it looks like I need to have it replaced.

If anyone knows how to get ahold of Pete, please let me know. I have sent him an message to every email he has listed on his site, but no luck. HELP.

Running on only one cylinder is not characteristic of a failed Pamco. A Pamco ignition either fires both cylinders or no cylinders, if failed.

Have you done the testing procedures that Pete has on his website? Here's the link:
http://www.yamahaxs650.com/

Read it carefully, testing instructions are at the bottom of the Installation Instructions.

Have you checked all wiring connections are secure? Is the ground wire connected to bare metal? Does your bike have good voltage, i.e. 12.5 volts at battery with the engine off; 14 volts at the battery with engine at 3000 rpm.

Have you tried a different spark plug in the cylinder that's not firing?

Is your bike known to have good compression in both cylinders?

The Pamco rotor has 4 magnets..................are they all in place?

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, I was thinking that maybe it was only on one cylinder based on where the plate arked, created a hole in one of the transistors. Here are a few pics of the unit after it arked. You can see the hole on the left side black transitor.
[/URL][/IMG]
image-1.jpg

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 0
Troy...,

Must be something going on with your coil associated with that side because it looks like the high voltage from the coil caused the arc. PM me for warranty details if bought within the last two years. If you have already PM'd me, then please do it again as I have quite a backlog of PM's.

Back