pamco on a 533

Trebor13

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i've got a 3L1 1979 XS650SE, i think that's a 533 engine???
will a pamco fit on it?
and are ale the xs heads the same?
thanks Tre

- why not?...i think its even a points model too, so no advance gear needs to be found...i run pamco on my 3L1-04#### -5E6 model which is a 533

thanks, i'm gonna order one.
my bike/ engine is still in parts as i bought it.
i've been working 12 till 14 ours a day or more so not mucht time left to build.
need to finnish my shed first before i can start on the bike.
when i ,do i'll open a topic.
thanXS again.

Im in the same position mate, cant get into the shed 'cos of the missus's junk!
You from the UK?

- youve a 3L1-00#### - 3L1 model with points...as your engine is in bits, look at the conrod-it will have 533 cast into it

Slight :hijack: here but it is a Pamco question
I have perfectly good working TCI (at the moment at least) motor, starts 3rd kick. I know it will eventually start playing up & I always intended replacing it with a Pamco but wot benefits will I see over a working TCI? Because with auto advance unit etc.... I will need its going to cost about £200.
Cheers Kev

i'm from holland.
since building the new shed, i had to store everything inside , underneath the missus's junk.
so for now just ordering/ finding parts.

Ive got Boyers on all mine Kev , £130 inc. coil direct from Boyer. Never let me down so dont worry about expense if yours goes kaput..

Cheers xs1961 :thumbsup:
Don't know why I didnt think of the Boyer system, I have one on the Triumph :doh:
I just assumed it would require all the auto advance mechanism etc... but just looked at the installation instructions & all that gets removed :bike:

With the state of the UK Pound at the moment, any thing sourced from the UK will be cheaper at the moment for you guys , for me the Boyer unit is the most expensive but I do like the idea that it adjusts itself and doesn't use the advance weights.
I was thinking about the newtronic system as I have one on my other xs, but I haven't got enough room under the tank for standard coils, plus it still uses the advance weights.

i'm from holland.
since building the new shed, i had to store everything inside , underneath the missus's junk.
so for now just ordering/ finding parts.
where in Holland I used to live there been in canada 43 years now still miss my green herring and Amstel light and all that girls ........sigh*:banghead:

Great place & lovely people the Dutch..Used to go to the TT at Assen every year & stop off at Amsterdam after the racing ended Sunday night :thumbsup:

Great place & lovely people the Dutch..Used to go to the TT at Assen every year & stop off at Amsterdam after the racing ended Sunday night :thumbsup:
Yeah you bet they love Canadians over there, I love the food the beer, the pubs , the women , the women and oh yeah ... the women:D

Ive used Boyer for too many years to remember, on dozens of bikes, I only ever had one fail and that was due to a faulty reg/rectifier frying the red box.I got a lot of stick for plugging Boyers over on 650Rider everyone kept saying points were best ( yeah, right. How many new bikes/cars have points these days?) but in the same breath they raved on about how great the Yam XS TCI system was !:confused::wtf:...
Ive not tried Pamcos set-up but I never heard a bad word about it ...

KevC I THINK the advantage of the stock TCI ignition is that it is crank triggered.....XSjohn claims it has a better advance curve too I think:shrug:.

Back