PAmco Pete Help Please

JP-MOTORSPORTS

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, new to the Forum

I was reading in here about the issues with the Pamco system with the PMA on friday afternoon when my customers 78 XS650 Died

I installed the Pamco and the PMA last summer, he took the bike and finished some more fab on it - Bike was running ok but needed tuning.
We get the bike back a few weeks ago to install a new clutch and tune the carbs..... I get the bike running cherry, go for a ride on Friday am and the ignition craps the bed !

Pamcopete is the warranty 2yr or whats the deal ?? He purchased it Aug 2014 from 650 Direct inv # 10277 and part # Basic Pamco electronic ignition with E-advancer/PMA Package, but we did not install until last fall.
I have emailed them but am getting no replies ! Oh and you can not call them - Real handy

Need some help

John
JP Motorsports

Hi Figure8
The bike shut down just like a kill switch (there is no kill switch on this bike), there is power and ground to the pamco unit, the coil checks out , and by the number of threads i have read about the pamco/pma problems id have to say this is the same issue

John

Unplug the PMA and try running on just the Pamco, you might be surprised. Use a fresh battery.

Figure8, as I suspected, its still dead, disconnected the PMA and no difference - Still No Spark

There are Multiple Forums out there that discuss this problem, 99% of the time its the Pamco that is Fried

John

"99% of the times the pamco failed due to poor instillation by novices."

This line of BS only stretches so far, and it's long past the breaking point.

Last edited:
99% of the times the pamco failed due to poor instillation by novices.

Go to pamcopetes site and read all the instructions. http://www.yamahaxs650.com/

Scroll down to Post 11 http://www.xs650.com/threads/pamco-pete.45818/

Did you have a battery connected to the pamco when you disconnected the PMA

Lol, yes id agree if it wasn't one of the simplest systems on the planet to install, Bike has bee running for over a month and just died...
I'm not interested in anyone's opinion other than pamcopete as he can tell me about the warranty....
I have been a tech for 22 years so I'm pretty sure I know WTF I'm talking about lol

But hey thanks for your 2cents

JP

Then just pm him. Otherwise you are just smearing his good name on a public forum. Ive had a basic pamco on my 71' flawless. He will cover the warrentee, even after the warantee in over, as long as you aren't a ass about it. Chill.

Well the second link i posted has the testing procedure for the Pamco that Pete will probably re-post for you. The first link goes to his site and states the Pamco has 2 Year warranty.

Being a tech for 22 years you shouldn't need any-ones help i suppose.............But hey i only posted some info links that may or may not help and if you are only after Petes response then i suggest you do it in a private conversation then you won't have to respond to unwanted posts.............................

There could be other components that has caused the pamco to shit its self............But hey your a tech off 22 years..................

Then just pm him. Otherwise you are just smearing his good name on a public forum. Ive had a basic pamco on my 71' flawless. He will cover the warrentee, even after the warantee in over, as long as you aren't a ass about it. Chill.

Not sure where/when ive been an ass about anything??? I have pm'd pete, waiting on a response.... I havent said a single thing bad about him or his products//////

Well the second link i posted has the testing procedure for the Pamco that Pete will probably re-post for you. The first link goes to his site and states the Pamco has 2 Year warranty.

Being a tech for 22 years you shouldn't need any-ones help i suppose.............But hey i only posted some info links that may or may not help and if you are only after Petes response then i suggest you do it in a private conversation then you won't have to respond to unwanted posts.............................

If you read my initial post you'd understand that I am trying to get in touch with Pete to find out about the how to get the Warranty........
I can't get an answer from the company it was bought from or him.... I have sent him a PM but have had no response......
I know there is a 2 year warranty.

JP, I suppose a welcome should've been in order, so welcome. Pete is a very respected member here, so take from that what you want, though I don't think you've been disrespectful. If you haven't done the checks that 650skull posted in the meantime that might not be a bad idea. It's a busy time of year for those in MC business as I'm sure you know, that includes Pete. We've all been there where the problem was a simple fix we overlooked, but that's not to say your Pamco may not be the issue. Best of luck. I should also not note Pete will ask you to do all those checks anyway so you might as well...

Didn't mean to jump your shit, dude. Sorry. Perhaps qc isnt as good as when i got mine 4 years ago..but its a hal effect system. The only variable is the solder technique, other than that is maybe Digikey got a bad batch of electronics.
The solder points on mine look RoS. Im notofficially RoS cert, but have been taught the same.
Post a picture of the circiut board. You may have some cold solder points, in wich case, you could re melt with a iron, then maybe it will work again?

Figure8 & Angus I had no intention of coming on here to cause any grief to Pete or his products, I am more concerned about how to get the warranty on the product and what the procedure is if the PMA is overcharging (like repair or replace) -I can't exactly tell if it is, as the bike no longer runs.... It was charging properly when first installed.
If any of you are in business than you know that customer service is #1 ! Selling a product and not having a tech support or warranty hotline / or even a number to contact to inquire is totally unheard of in todays day and age.......
The only reason I'm even on this forum is to help out my customer (Customer Service), I did not purchase or suggest these specific products, as I will only buy parts from a supplier who I can somehow contact ie Dynojet, K&N, Hoos Racing ect....
650direct.com is where the parts were purchased and I can't even get a simple reply from them ! Very Frustrating

I appreciate the tech suggestions and I have already done the tests including checking the circuit board for a bad solder joint. - There are enough posts out there about this issue with the Pamco / PMA kit -

John

JP...,

99% of the time when there is a failure of a PAMCO with a PMA it is the PMA or its regulator or a crap capacitor or a tiny battery or a bad installation that is the problem. It was suggested in this thread that you try disconnecting the PMA and run the PAMCO from a fully charged battery. You responded by saying that you did try "Figure8, as I suspected, its still dead, disconnected the PMA and no difference" but it is unclear if you had a battery or a capacitor setup or if you had a battery connected to the PAMCO. Please try the suggestion or respond that you have tried it with a fully charged battery with the same results. The PAMCO is under warranty for two years.

JP...,

99% of the time when there is a failure of a PAMCO with a PMA it is the PMA or its regulator or a crap capacitor or a tiny battery or a bad installation that is the problem. It was suggested in this thread that you try disconnecting the PMA and run the PAMCO from a fully charged battery. You responded by saying that you did try "Figure8, as I suspected, its still dead, disconnected the PMA and no difference" but it is unclear if you had a battery or a capacitor setup or if you had a battery connected to the PAMCO. Please try the suggestion or respond that you have tried it with a fully charged battery with the same results. The PAMCO is under warranty for two years.

Hi Pete thanks for the reply

This specific system is run with a battery, the battery is brand new and was on a full charge when I disconnected the PMA to do the suggested test - No Spark ----
I am a licensed Certified Tech so I'm pretty confident that my install (ITS ABOUT AS EASY AS IT GETS) is not the issue.. Not my first rodeo...

Ok great about the warranty so how do we go about replacing the system and are we replacing the PMA kit OR Regulator as well ?? It was all purchsed at the same time from 650Direct

Sorry If you took offence from my post, that was not my intention, I was simply stating the fact that there have been a number of posts about the Pamco / PMA issues, which you yourself were involved in and had admitted there had been a possible issue......

JP

JP...,
Admitted? Like I was trying to hide something? There are a number of posts here about the PAMCO because it is the most popular ignition system for the XS650 on the market. Unlike other manufacturers, a lot of the PAMCO warranty and service difficulty discussions with customers is conducted right here for all to see, including some unflattering opinions and outright criticism as we are all entitled to our opinion and bitching is guaranteed by the First Amendment.
PAMCO only manufactures the PAMCO ignition itself, not the PMA or its associated parts. You will have to contact whoever you purchased the non PAMCO parts from if you have an issue with those parts.

JP...,
Admitted? Like I was trying to hide something? There are a number of posts here about the PAMCO because it is the most popular ignition system for the XS650 on the market. Unlike other manufacturers, a lot of the PAMCO warranty and service difficulty discussions with customers is conducted right here for all to see, including some unflattering opinions and outright criticism as we are all entitled to our opinion and bitching is guaranteed by the First Amendment.
PAMCO only manufactures the PAMCO ignition itself, not the PMA or its associated parts. You will have to contact whoever you purchased the non PAMCO parts from if you have an issue with those parts.

HI Pete

Im not here to knock your kit, or anything of the sort, all I wanted to know was about the warranty.....
I mention the PMA and the Pamco because 650direct sells them as a kit, so I will continue to email 650direct until we come up with a solution

Thanks for your time, and again I wasn't out to "Bash" or bitch about your product, its just frustrating to not be able to directly contact a supplier especially when you have a customer waiting for his ride.....

JP

Back