Pamco Pete?

Pamcos fit ALL year XS650 engines your kit will be fine. Standard plugs, the NKG BP7ES are fine usually gapped about .032 with a high energy coil and pamco. You can use either advance rod. For strength and reliability I would use the stock rod. That mikes rod has been known to break at the threads.

Without spending a 1/2 hour looking through mikes and checking the kit no's against what you bought or didn't buy, i'll say this...........The kit you need is one without the 80-84 advance rod. Your motor already has the rod and bushings so the kit should be a basic kit with a coil and leads, and resister caps.............Your kit should be good, just drop the Advance Rod you bought

Some buy irrideum plugs but standard BP7ES are generally used.

Your engine should already have the correct bushings and advance rod along with the mechanical advance. I would return the kit to mikes and just get the basic Pamco kit. You can run the iridium plugs but you don't have to.

Ummm Reread his post??, the kit is in, and will work just fine, he can run it as is, and sell the extra advance rod if he wants.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was worried because the description of the rod called it 'special' meant everything attached would be different. I may take your advice gggGary and swap the stock rod back in if it is stronger. Figure8, the kits that come with coil and wire leads are only $50 cheaper than the kit I bought, so since it's in my engine already I guess it is what it is, lesson learned. I'll buy the basic kit next bike.
Thanks again!

If I'm understanding your question right, you should be able to use the Pamco kit on the stock, existing rod. The '83 bikes are CDI and don't have that rod; that's why it's included in that kit. Just use the plate and rotor on your existing rod.

Back