pamco? PMA? Carb? issues.WTF

BC-IAN

XS650 Member
Reaction score
ok, heres the breakdown - 1983 heritage, kick only, changed to K&N pod filters, canadian jets and needles, Pamco ignition with ultimate high output coil, and hughes PMA.
so i changed to K&N pod filters, and in doing so went to replace the jets and needles with the canadian ones sold by 650direct, only to find that they where already installed. ( actually only checked the needle in one side because the little brass screws holding down the cover where near impossibleto get out, anyone got a way to get those little bastards out of there?) . Cleaned everything up, checked the diaghrams etc..
then went ahead and installed the pamco, ran great off the stock alternator, ( i checked and adjusted the timing at this time as well) swapped the alternator out to hughes PMA, that charged a seperate battery at 14.5, put the two together on the same battery and checked the timing again just for kicks. started after three or four kicks. took it out for its first ride after the changes and..... issues-- the bike is reaching higher rpms, but its not transfering to the rear wheel. The engine is reving up, but the bike is not accelerating. so then i shut it down, to think for a minute, and decided thinking hurt and maybe it was a one time thing, but when i went to kick it again, it was near impossible to get a compression stroke, felt like i was kicking through water? I let it sit a minute or two then on one little kick it fired right up? So i decided to go through the usual again - cam chain, valve clearence, and timing. i kicked it a couple times, it fired right up, then i swapped out the battery for a sparx capacitor which was the original plan. Kicked it again and it fired right up, got rolling down the road- and same issue - high idle, no acceleration? but it does strangely not do it so bad down hill, maybe only when its got to pull a little? then after shutting it down again thinking i would adjust the pamco, same thing - like zero commpression, kicked my bag off! then waited ten minutes walked out and i barely even breathed on the kicker and it fired up! I have done a half dozen of these bikes the same way and never had this issue, anyone got any ideas? thanks

BC-IAN,

Well, when you have a problem that is time sensitive, it probably involves temperature because that's all that changed while you waited. Temperature can be related to carb jets, IE you are running so lean that the engine is overheating. Works great after you let it cool down. Check the color of your plugs to see if this can be true.

Of course, there are other possibilities, like poor fuel delivery through a restricted fuel filter. The fuel flow doe not keep up with fuel consumption, but if you let the bike sit a while, the carb bowls fill up and off you go again. Try without the fuel filters and a full tank to create the max fuel pressure possible.

Here is a list other problems that are mainly related to poor performance at high speed, but some may appply to your issue;

1. Low battery / charging system. A low battery will produce a low ignition voltage at the plugs which is most evident at higher RPM's.
2. Timing. Did you use a timing light to set the timing?
3. Stuck or no advance. When checking the timing with the timing light, did you check for maximum advance at 3,000 RPM.
4. Binding advance rod.
5. Fouled plugs. Did you install new plugs? Check them after you got it running?
6. Plug wire not making contact in the coil. Measure the resistance from plug cap to plug cap to ensure that both plug wires are making contact in the coil.
7. Brakes dragging.
8. Speedo out of calibration. You are actually going faster than 60 MPH! Use your GPS to check the speedo.
9. Tire pressure. Pump up to 32 PSI for high speed.
10. Drive chain too tight. That will rob you of power to the rear wheel.
11. Enricher plunger stuck partially on.
12. Enricher (choke) left on or partially on.
13. Weak or loose advance springs. Weak or loose advance springs cause the advance to use up some of the available movement because you have to essentially retard the advance to get it on the idle advance mark, so there is less movement available at higher RPM's.
14. Timing chain needs adjustment.
15. Cheap or bad gas.
16. Low octane gas.
17. Water in the gas.
18. Partially blocked pet cock or fuel filter.
19. Paper filter that has low flow when the tank is not full.
20. Try a run with a full tank of high octane, fresh, expensive gas.
21. Blocked fuel cap vent.
22. Incorrect sprockets. What RPM are you getting at 60 MPH.
23. Rear tire rubbing on brake rod or swing arm.
24. High wind resistance. Are you a large person?
25. Throttle cable not fully opening the throttles.
26. Blockage in the muffler(s)
27. Dirty or blocked air filters
28. High altitude
29. Very hot air, like 95+F
30. Very cold air, like 32F
31. Low oil
32. Really dirty oil
33. Gas in the oil
34. Weak TCI magnet in rotor. Unplug Reg/Rect to test
35. Cracked carb boots.
36. Hole in carb diaphragm(s)
37. Cheap pods covering air hole in carb inlet

You said the engine is reving up but it is not transferring power to the rear wheel also that it seems better down hill .Check your clutch adjustement it might be slipping

wholly crap pete, you didnt just now write that list did ya? thanks bud, its nice to know when you buy someones product they respond minutes after asking a question! ummm ya theres some things i can go through, the charging sytem is working as it should, im getting a steady 14-14.5, lots of fuel getting to the carbs, the advance is all new, timing chain is spot on, timing was done with a light, pod filters are K&Ns defianetly not cheap!, its great in first but any other gear it feels like its finding a small " nuetral, hollow spot, still moving and reving up but not accelerating. I was thinking clutch before but its adjusted as it should be. Im gonna try a known good set of carbs and see what happens. I thought about the temperature issue as well, but the starting and not starting is sporadic, i can kick away like i said feels like no commpression, like none, then all of a sudden bang, away we go? thanks for the replies guys

BC-IAN,

Well, the kick starter goes through the clutch, so your kicking with no compression feel and the strange lack of acceleration would both point to a clutch issue.

My first question is did you have this running and driving correctly before or is this a first attempt? If this is a first attempt I would take a look at the alignment hole in the pressure plate and make sure that it is aligned with the mark on the inner basket. Also check that the springs are tightened correctly and that the friction discs are within service limits. All this info is in the tech section under "clutch". Once you verify all this is correct then reassmble and adjust as outlined in your manual. It definitely sounds as if your clutch is slipping.

Back