Pamco/PMA with Engine Out?

Kickflippin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm all set for final paint and assembly on my '78. Pamco arrived, and parts from Hugh's to mount PMA setup.

Engine is currently out, I'd love to do the install while it's on the stand, but is it a hassle to mess with timing, charge testing, full advance checks, etc. if I don't do it all at once? Leaning toward just putting it all on once the bike is together, but I need something to do while paint cures!

Pic is just the motor set in and aligned for mock up, it's back out. Thanks!

dqqyw7U.png

I would install the pamco do it now while your waiting. One less thing to do later. I bought the E advance and trashed the mechanical. Bike looks good nice seat.

You can install both while on the bench, just make sure you mark new TDC on your PMA and then for your first start up its recommended that you have two different batterys going. One for the PMA, to test that its giving proper charging output. And one for the rest of the bike, so it runs while testing the PMA. This is done to avoid having the PMA burn out the Pamco if the PMA is malfunctioning and putting out too much voltage.

Its that common on initial install for the parts to be junk to be recommended to have a separate power source?

Posted via Mobile

Its that common on initial install for the parts to be junk to be recommended to have a separate power source?

Posted via Mobile

I don't know why you keep posting these kinds of remarks when you don't know what you are talking about.

There is nothing wrong with the parts, but it has happened where the person installing the PMA, especially the regulator for the PMA, does not do it properly and one of three things will happen as a result.

1. In the case of a capacitor setup, the PMA does not produce any power and the installer will kick himself to death trying to start the engine with no power to the igntiion system.

2. The engine starts up on the first kick, but because the regulator was not wired correctly, the PMA produces a destructive 20+ volts and the ignition along with other components in the system gets fried.

3. The battery or the capacitor is wired in reverse so either the battery or the capacitor explodes due to the reverse polarity.

Because of these possibilities, it is recommended that the PAMCO be wired temporarily to a separate battery that is not connected to the PMA to ensure that the engine will start and give you a chance to verify the voltage from the regulator before committing to wiring the PAMCO to the PMA.

As I have said before I'm sure that you have a lot of good information to contribute to this forum from you many years in the business, but please try to only comment on things that you have actually done on a XS650.

LOL
Like to know how someone can wire a reg/rec wrong?
I have two bikes currently with HHB in the shop. Both came out of the box with plugs on the unit. Stator no. One I did the other the customer confirmed on phone. Both came in without being fully finished installed. In all my years I've NEVER seen a reg/rec sold without the connectors installed. OEM to the worse Chinese garbage. Sounds more like the instructions are poor. I did look up the internet instructs for HHB and they seem to be enough to get the worse garage mechanic through it.

Not sure the thinking "if customer installs the battery backwards hooking up another, assuming that'd be backwards too, to prevent damage?"

I can see if using a new capacitor to aid in an easier start. If you're using a CDI set up. Because I thought the main selling point of going backwards in technology to an induction ignition was to aid in low voltage starting? And if you're riding airplanes.

kickflippin,

You may want to go ahead install just the Pamco first so you can make sure the timing is correct using the stock timing marks on the rotor and stator. Once you get the timing correct by running on just a battery (you don't even need to hook up the stock charging system) you will be able to install the PMA and make accurate timing marks on the PMA rotor and the LH side cover if you do not use the HHB supplied sticker.

LOL
Like to know how someone can wire a reg/rec wrong?
I have two bikes currently with HHB in the shop. Both came out of the box with plugs on the unit. Stator no. One I did the other the customer confirmed on phone. Both came in without being fully finished installed. In all my years I've NEVER seen a reg/rec sold without the connectors installed. OEM to the worse Chinese garbage. Sounds more like the instructions are poor. I did look up the internet instructs for HHB and they seem to be enough to get the worse garage mechanic through it.

Not sure the thinking "if customer installs the battery backwards hooking up another, assuming that'd be backwards too, to prevent damage?"

I can see if using a new capacitor to aid in an easier start. If you're using a CDI set up. Because I thought the main selling point of going backwards in technology to an induction ignition was to aid in low voltage starting? And if you're riding airplanes.

You spew a lot of useless crap around here. Wtf is your last paragraph even talking about.

If you retrofit Pma to a stock harnessed bike wiring is more than likely going to have to be modified. And with all the failing Chinese Pma systems out there the take out the vr and or get crazy high charging voltages a separate battery is recommended for the pamco to check voltage first and avoid frying other components.

Wiring things wrong does come up a lot on here.

And with all the failing Chinese Pma systems out there

Ha, wasn't that my original question asking?

something like, Wow, the components are really that poor you have too....

You may think I spew crap. But, in reality you're just drinking sugared Kool-Aid

and if someone can't run the red wire to positive post and the green lead to ground they shouldn't be building anything.

I agree on the wiring. But it's all over here. People can't even wire pamcos properly with Petes very simple instructions. But it is what it is.

Your posts are just difficult to understand.

due to human error I would hook up seperatly,do pamco first then when installed and running properly do the pma,could save a lot of head banging and cursing ( maybe different if installed many of them before)..after all once the motors in the bike its the same work to do the pma swap..:twocents:

and if someone can't run the red wire to positive post and the green lead to ground they shouldn't be building anything.

chizler62,

Somehow, I think you are worthy of redemption. You have made a few outlandish statements here, but I think that is just due to your unfamiliarity with the XS650, which you said only three months ago, you were new to.

The quote from you, above, is correct, but you have referred to the Hugh's Hand Built PMA and the very excellent instructions that he provides for the installation. That level of information is not available for all of the various PMA's that our members are installing nor are all of the regulators the same as far as wiring is concerned. Some of them use the Honda wire color code of black for positive and green for negative. Some of them have an extra voltage sense wire. Some of them require you to mount the body of the regulator to a solid ground, and that is not always done. Some of the regulators cannot handle the output of the PMA and burn up in short order. So, when I recommend a particular method of installing the PAMCO ignition, I do so not knowing what PMA and regulator the member may be using but I want them to be able to start their engine so they can check out the operation of the PMA, which can only be done with the engine running.

Some of your posts, especially regarding carburetors, are very helpful. I know you have a lot of knowledge that can be useful to the members.

Back