Pamco w/ E-Advance on '83 - Cam busing?

bkaushansky

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Confused on installation of cam bushings.
I have an '83 that had TCI so no bushings installed. Purchased the entire advance unit and rod from a '79 which had 3 bushings. When installing bushings how many go on each side? On the right I can fit 2 side by side. On the left there is room for 2 more. Everywhere I read, its either 2 or 3 bushings, never 4!!

Thanks.
B.

If I recall correctly, you want 2 bushings on the right side. The inner bushing acts as a backstop for the cam's rightside index pin. Without it, the pin falls thru...

That's what I figured for right side. The left is the issue. There is enough room for 2 bushings but all installation instructions state just 1. Can't imaging the left bushing should just float around back n forth.

Looking at the Pamco site, Pete has an 80s specific rod with really wide bushing suggesting that using 2 smaller bushings on the left side is fine.

You could install 2 bushings on the left side like stock if you wanted to. Pete feels only one is required with the Pamco because you no longer have the 2 points sets applying sideways pressure on the advance rod. As you may have noticed, there are 2 different bushings. One is just a solid plain bushing, the other has grooves on the I.D. Originally, there was one of each on each side. The solid one went in 1st and the grooved one was 2nd, on the outside .....

dhXcM3V.jpg

The brass bushings are not cheap. The idea was to reduce cost. Just one bushing on the left side is fine as there is no lateral pressure with the PAMCO rotor.

Back