PAMCO Wiring

Will this work (the one on the right) with my PAMCO and single coil/dual output on a separate circuit and my stock alternator brush left grounded?

Attachments

• simplest.jpg
    simplest.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 44
Assuming an early (points bike) stator with 3 Nylon screws on the brushes and a late model, 8-pin (7-wire) regulator/rectifier, the following would work:
simplest1.jpg

Changed: Black brush wire to brown switched power and removed direct connection from brush to ground

You don't seem to understand - the ignition system, in your case a Pamco, has nothing to do with the charging system, they're two separate circuits. You needn't be concerned with the ignition (the Pamco). It will work with pretty much any charging system, even a PMA.

Your issue is the charging system and getting it to work right with that cheapo Chinese combined reg/rec. From what we can see, that cheapo unit contains a ground regulating type 'A' regulator. That means it won't work with the inner brush grounded. The outer brush gets fed the ground from the type 'A' regulator. That would give you two grounded brushes but a circuit needs power and ground to operate. That's why the inner brush will need switched power fed to it. But, since the inner brush grounds out to the stator housing through it's 3 mounting screws, you can't just feed power to it, it will just short out. That's why you need to do the nylon screw mod if you want to use that type 'A' regulator. Here's a thread explaining the two types of charging systems used on the 650, and the two types of regulators used (ground regulating type 'A' or power regulating type 'B'). It doesn't get into the nylon screw mod but once you understand how the system operates, you should realize why the nylon screws are needed in some cases (when trying to use a later ground regulating type 'A' regulator on an early system).....

https://www.xs650.com/threads/diy-reg-rec-5twins-and-jim.55842/

You don't seem to understand - the ignition system, in your case a Pamco, has nothing to do with the charging system, they're two separate circuits. You needn't be concerned with the ignition (the Pamco). It will work with pretty much any charging system, even a PMA.

Your issue is the charging system and getting it to work right with that cheapo Chinese combined reg/rec. From what we can see, that cheapo unit contains a ground regulating type 'A' regulator. That means it won't work with the inner brush grounded. The outer brush gets fed the ground from the type 'A' regulator. That would give you two grounded brushes but a circuit needs power and ground to operate. That's why the inner brush will need switched power fed to it. But, since the inner brush grounds out to the stator housing through it's 3 mounting screws, you can't just feed power to it, it will just short out. That's why you need to do the nylon screw mod if you want to use that type 'A' regulator. Here's a thread explaining the two types of charging systems used on the 650, and the two types of regulators used (ground regulating type 'A' or power regulating type 'B'). It doesn't get into the nylon screw mod but once you understand how the system operates, you should realize why the nylon screws are needed in some cases (when trying to use a later ground regulating type 'A' regulator on an early system).....

This appears to be the correct cheapo reg/rec design with the nylon screw trick applied. I'm going to try it. You guys are invaluable to my effort and I still have the carcass of "Burnie" if you want any parts. Advance weights, drive gear and left side cover are gone. The major guts are still turning. Just LMK. THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Attachments

• 1978-xs650-wiring-diagram-4.jpg
    1978-xs650-wiring-diagram-4.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 43
OK, that looks good. Yes, the main fuse on the power line running from the battery to the ignition switch should be a 20 amp, but all the rest should be 10's.

OK, that looks good. Yes, the main fuse on the power line running from the battery to the ignition switch should be a 20 amp, but all the rest should be 10's.
Thank You. Should I fuse the green wire between the brush and the cheapo or is that overkill? I have the cheapo red wire fused at 10A.

If I were to just change the cheapo for a compatible that would work without the nylon screw trick, what would you suggest? Anybody? Thank You.

No, don't fuse the green wire, and there's no need to add a 10A fuse to the red wire either. It is already fused by the main 20A fuse.

This bike uses an automotive type 3 phase alternator. For that reason, we're able to use low cost (and very well made) automotive regulators. Details are here .....

I think this is the best set-up for these bikes. I don't know why guys pay up near $100 for a motorcycle specific reg/rec. Probably because they don't know any better, lol. You can usually put one of these reg/recs together for $20 to $30.

No, don't fuse the green wire, and there's no need to add a 10A fuse to the red wire either. It is already fused by the main 20A fuse.

This bike uses an automotive type 3 phase alternator. For that reason, we're able to use low cost (and very well made) automotive regulators. Details are here .....

I think this is the best set-up for these bikes. I don't know why guys pay up near $100 for a motorcycle specific reg/rec. Probably because they don't know any better, lol. You can usually put one of these reg/recs together for $20 to $30.
THANK YOU! This post should be at the top of all related search topics. The guys that wrote it are way cool.

should have a 7.5amp fuse after the kill switch and before the coils to isolate and protect the pamco

That Fiat regulator is an 'A' type so will require you to use the nylon screw mod. If you want to mount and wire the brushes like stock (steel mounting screws, full time grounded inner brush), you need a 'B' type power regulating regulator like the VR115.

That Fiat regulator is an 'A' type so will require you to use the nylon screw mod. If you want to mount and wire the brushes like stock (steel mounting screws, full time grounded inner brush), you need a 'B' type power regulating regulator like the VR115.
Oh no! Thank You! VR115 it shall be. found it on Amazon. Flushing $$$ is what we do.

Last edited:
Yes, that is the one many of us are using. It's not too expensive and is of good quality.

Back