Paracitic pamco?

mrkil

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So my bike quit working. I've been trying to track down the issue and the coil tests fine using pete's directions. I have no spark.

I'm running pamco, pma and a cap. I wired up to a seperate battery to test the pamco and got no spark. What I found was that when connected there is a paracitic draw on the battery that draws enough to have no juice left in the batttery in less that a minute.

It using the cap it is dead within less than a minute.
:banghead:

Can the pamco fail in this way?

It sounds like your PMA was putting out a bit too much voltage and shorted out the Pamco. This short can be directly from the red hot wire to ground, thus draining the battery. Remove the circuit board and look it over, you may find burnt parts are a burnt circuit board.
When it was running did you check the output voltage of the PMA at idle as well as at higher rpms, like 2000, 3000 or more. If so what voltages did you get?
Leo

I'll pull it and give it a look. I didn't see any burns on the front.
The PMA was putting out just above 14 at roughly 3500-4000.

83C777AC-1389-4F2D-A63B-71551B5F3993-1626-0000020662394A57_zps9a6b3f50.jpg

36181F9C-99F6-489B-B060-52F57FDA3FDC-1626-000002065982CFE7_zps5bc16c7c.jpg

Everything looks fine.
Not sure where to go from here.

Everything looks fine.
Not sure where to go from here.

You could start testing components with a meter. If there's something on the board dumping the battery to ground that fast something on the board will be hot as a pistol.

I will be checking it with a meter later.
I'm going to install my points back in for now and test the rest when I am much less likely to hurl it out the window.....

I'm not sure how it could be the battery. There is no loss of voltage untill the red wire that goes to the coil and the pamco is connected.

Disconnect the coil then hook up the pamco and check for drain. Much more likely your coil being shorted would drain than that little pamco unit. If it was shorted I'd imagine you could find where the magic smoke left.

Your voltage sounds good. The board looks ok.
Does your meter have a way to test amps? Mine have a second spot for the red lead. This lets you test up to a 10 amp draw. If yours has this you can hook the meter between the red wire to the Pamco then apply power and see what amps it draws. On Pete's site it says it draws 220 micro amps.
You can also hook it between the coil and red wire to see what amps the coil draws.
The coil should draw around 5 to 6 amps.
If you get a lot higher reading on either one then the one with the too high reading is suspect.
Leo

Thanks everybody.

I will check for what is drawing on the red wire. I have ordered a new coil to replace the green monster coil. Something not as finicky......

Back