parcel carrier

marp68

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Anyone who knows if a parcel carrier from an xs400 fits right onto the xs650 (1975)?

Merry Christmas

/Martin

Maybe,maybe not. If it's a Ymamaha made carrier, probably not. If it's an aftermarket it might be adjustable and can be made to fit.

Where are you getting a parcel carrier? I've been considering one for my 650. This is going to be my summer ride (instead of my F-150) so it'll be making a lot of grocery runs. I shop day-to-day so the hauls won't be huge...just a bag or two at a time.

Where are you getting a parcel carrier?

You have to get them on ebay or locally, because nobody makes anything currently that fits. It's typical to buy two or three before you get one that fits your model. Ask for some measurements from the seller. Re: grocery runs, the 12 pack goes on the carrier and the groceries get jammed into saddlebags. And just park beside the door at the store :) If you internet search for one they're usually called "luggage racks".

Thanks xj. It's either buy one (or more as you indicated) or start fabbing something up myself. Good excuse to buy some aluminum and make it the way I want it.

Here's what I settled on for a carrier. The black strips on it are rubber sitting in a channel, which help keeps things from sliding sometimes, and they're close enough together that things like cans in a bag don't fall through. It's adjustable about three different ways. If you see one with a sissy bar, all the ones I've seen are removable. Some stuff on the rack would cover up the stock tail light so I put on a fender and light from a '79. The seat is from an '80; it fits, and's a lot more comfortable than '81 up for long distance.

Attachments

• DSCI0714a.jpg
    DSCI0714a.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 62
So, I went down to the secon hand mc part dealer outside town and found a luggage carrier. Wanted a carrier that looked integrated with the bike.

I cut away the lower part on the sides and the mounting part on them, which I then welded on the upper part. I also removed a part of the tubes going forward towards the rear shock upper bolt nd awelded back the mounting part.

I think I succesed pretty well... I will however adjust it a bit upwards. Now it point a bit downwards...

Attachments

• P6180296_800x600.jpg
    P6180296_800x600.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 67
  • P6180298_800x600.jpg
    P6180298_800x600.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 43
Back