part needed

kbtoy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 78 xs I am rebuilding it.I am looking for a nos part. It is the front cam chain guilde. Does anyone have one for sale? Thank You

Boats.net, partzilla.com etc all show they are available
256-12231-01-00 GUIDE,STOPPER 1 shows being used on all xs650's from 70-83

Hi I have used mikes in the past. They do not last. and partzilla said no nos part. I do not want to put in an old one. thanks

I don't know where you are looking but if you look at this link it clearly shows that the front guide 256-12231-01-00 (#6 in the diagram) is still available from Yamaha.

You do NOT want NOS you want NEW, buy it from Partzilla or your local Yamaha dealer.
Fortunately Yamaha IS still having this part made so we can buy brand new OEM parts, how great is that? You don't want NOS because the rubber age hardens and gets brittle, the rubber bond to the aluminum bracket tends to fail with age also. Who wants that? Pretty much every OEM front guide in the world was sold in a big panic about two years ago, then Yamaha got new ones back into the system so you are about guaranteed fresh stock. Plus whatever, avoid the MikesXS guides they are not as good as the genuine Yamaha parts.

+2 on the Mike's one not being as good as the OEM, the slider material is too soft when comparing them - I got mine from Gary Hoos...

Back