Wanted - Parts of a 1976 XS650 (or from any year as long as it's the same part)

cocinero196

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for these parts of a 1976 XS650 (or from any year as long as it's the same part)

19 x 1.85 front rim w/ rotor & speedometer drive gear
Handlebar w/ Left & right handlebar controls, levers, & cables
with Brake master cylinder & Caliper w/ brake hose set.
Speedo & Tach Gauges w/ cables
Rear red reflectors
Seat lock assembly w/ keys
High tension wire (pair)
Horn w/ bracket & screws
Rear Shocks
Oem tool bag w/ tools

I have used shocks $40.00 shipped from NJ to Cal

Attachments

• shocks.jpg
    shocks.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 63
  • shocks1.jpg
    shocks1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 47
Looking for these parts of a 1976 XS650 (or from any year as long as it's the same part)

19 x 1.85 front rim w/ rotor & speedometer drive gear
Handlebar w/ Left & right handlebar controls, levers, & cables
with Brake master cylinder & Caliper w/ brake hose set.
Speedo & Tach Gauges w/ cables
Rear red reflectors
Seat lock assembly w/ keys
High tension wire (pair)
Horn w/ bracket & screws
Rear Shocks
Oem tool bag w/ tools

Hi cocinero:
I am also restoring a '76 and wanted to share some thoughts on a few of the items on your list of parts:
- handle bar controls & cables etc: OEM-looking parts are available at low cost from suppliers such as PerformanceXS and MikesXS etc. and they'll work as well or better than old used parts; For example, the four cables (throttle, clutch, tach & speedometer) will cost around $60 brand new - for ALL of them.
- caliper, master cylinder & hoses etc. - same remark;
- HT wire: same remark;
- shocks: same remark: (the ones in the photos are from a later Special model actually - the '76 didn't have red reflectors on it);

I have found that the other stuff such as the handle bars themselves, instrument, the rim, seat lock & tool bag etc. can certainly be sourced used and the folks on his forum are a great source. In fact, there was a front and rear rim offered for sale just a day or two ago.

Last edited:
Hi cocinero:
I am also restoring a '76 and wanted to share some thoughts on a few of the items on your list of parts:
- handle bar controls & cables etc: OEM-looking parts are available at low cost from suppliers such as PerformanceXS and MikesXS etc. and they'll work as well or better than old used parts; For example, the four cables (throttle, clutch, tach & speedometer) will cost around $60 brand new - for ALL of them.
- caliper, master cylinder & hoses etc. - same remark;
- HT wire: same remark;
- shocks: same remark: (the ones in the photos are from a later Special model actually - the '76 didn't have red reflectors on it);

I have found that the other stuff such as the handle bars themselves, instrument, the rim, seat lock & tool bag etc. can certainly be sourced used and the folks on his forum are a great source. In fact, there was a front and rear rim offered for sale just a day or two ago.

Hi MaxPete! Thanks for the tip! can I get a link of PerformanceXS? Can't seem to find it online.
Thanks again!

Hi MaxPete! Thanks for the tip! can I get a link of PerformanceXS? Can't seem to find it online.
Thanks again!

Sorry - that should have been XS Performance. They're in Kokomo IN. MikesXS is the other source. Many folks have had negative experiences with them but I've been well treated over the past year or so and I think that they're under new management.

(Maybe) those guy's have sourced better cables now but motion pro gets all my cable business.ESPECIALLY clutch cable.
:hijack: There are endless threads here about "can't" get neutral. Got the 79 resto mod out yesterday for it's spring wake up ride, went down got some fresh gas in it, rode 25 miles. Pulled in my driveway, dead stopped in first gear, snick, neutral, repeated a few times because I hear so often that you can't do that on an XS, yup easy every time, no quick partial release to squeeze out the oil needed. All stock clutch components. motion pro cable rerouted for smooth gentle path, elbow straightened slightly, cable kept lubed, clutch lever rebushed with o-rings and moly grease. It's not rocket science, it's the details. Some years are better than others on how the clutch pack is built, there were about 5 changes to the clutch through the years.

Last edited:
Hi cocinero,
what Pete said. But he didn't mention the horn. If you want a stock horn for authenticity's sake, fair enough.
But be aware that the stock horn's pathetic bleat is so quiet it can hardly be heard over the engine's exhaust noise.
I'd recommend fitting an aftermarket horn that's loud enough that the texting SUV driving soccer mom about to cut you off
will suppose a semi is bearing down on her and perhaps even look where she's going.
Stebel-Nautilus is the loudest at a claimed 139dB but there are others.

Back