petcock leaking

xs650dude63

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
One of the rubber sealing washers broke on the underside of my petcock, gas leaked everywhere, where can I find these, they are the all rubber ones, are there better ones that are more durable? Thanks!

Not sure what petcock you have, there are 4 or 5 different ones used through the years and models or which washer "on underside of the petcock" you are referring to.

The two bolts that hold the petcock to the gas tank use a composite material as a seal under the bolt head kinda seems like a cross between lead and plastic. Never seen one of those fail..........

Do you mean the rubber disc with holes in it under the petcock control? If so that's known generically as (believe it or not) a "whizzer valve." The part is still available from Yamaha. If you don't have a local dealer there are plenty of vendors with sites that give access to parts book pages, and most of them won't hit you with a huge shipping charge for a small order or sell you a knockoff part made in China from recycled condoms.

Its the two rubber washers that are under the bolts on the outside of the petcock, they are all rubber. These came on the original vacuum petcock of my 1980 special. I changed to a regular petcock, but reused the rubber washers.

If you're talking about the sealing washers on the screws that secure the petcock to the tank, Gary already informed you that there were no rubber washers in that position originally on any XS650. I use 1/4" copper washers and wrap the screws with Teflon tape (the yellow type that's fuel and gas rated). If you want the original sealing washers (they look like aluminum to me), they're probably still available. Do some searches--or persist until some kinder soul does your shopping for you.

That "kit" looks like rubber washers and steel washers to hold them, that's not good.

Why not JEN YOU WINE Yamaha? since you found bad bongos aftermarket already?

From Revzilla, prolly in stock at the local dealer.
35 WASHER, PLATE 90202-05187-00 list $3.36 sell $1.81 needed 4

The '75 XS650B that I recently acquired sat with fuel in it since last November. Previous owner replaced the petcocks in October with what appears to be aftermarket ones, not sure of the source. All the rubber components deteriorated and the metal parts are pitted. They leaked and made a mess. Carb float bowl gaskets also leaked and the floats have slight pitting. We have ethanol in our fuel in Northern Virginia. I replaced the petcocks with Yamaha OEM and rebuilt the carbs. I don't use fuel that has ethanol in any of my vintage bikes.

Back