Phantom 78 650 rebuild Part 2

Yes, many of us do switch to one long line, replacing the two originals and the splitter block. Simpler and less possible leak points. The easiest way to determine the line length is to get about a 4 foot length of electrical house wiring, a single strand of the solid copper type. You can easily bend and shape this, and it will hold the configuration. Wrap one end around the banjo bolt on the MC and route the wire down behind the headlight, following the path your brake line will. Mark the bottom end at the caliper banjo bolt, pull the wire out, straighten it, and measure. I put slightly lower than stock Euro bend bars on all mine and a 90cm (about 35.4") line length is perfect for them .....

83BrakeLineRoute.jpg

If you have the higher stock bars, or the Special buckhorn bars, then you will probably need a longer line. They are usually available in 10cm increments.

Yes, many of us do switch to one long line, replacing the two originals and the splitter block. Simpler and less possible leak points. The easiest way to determine the line length is to get about a 4 foot length of electrical house wiring, a single strand of the solid copper type. You can easily bend and shape this, and it will hold the configuration. Wrap one end around the banjo bolt on the MC and route the wire down behind the headlight, following the path your brake line will. Mark the bottom end at the caliper banjo bolt, pull the wire out, straighten it, and measure. I put slightly lower than stock Euro bend bars on all mine and a 90cm (about 35.4") line length is perfect for them .....

View attachment 263648

If you have the higher stock bars, or the Special buckhorn bars, then you will probably need a longer line. They are usually available in 10cm increments.
Thank you! I guess I’ll have to get rid of the ape hanger handle bars

Honestly, it will literally transform the look and feel of the bike. I know there are some folks who actually like those buckhorn bars, but I'm not one of them, lol. Here's my '83 shortly after I got it, about the only change so far at that point being the Euro bars .....

$200SpecialClean.jpg

Besides being very comfortable because of the way they droop down on the ends, that also allows the angled Special MC to sit practically level .....

$200SpecialClean4.jpg

$200SpecialClean5.jpg

Install straighter type bars and you get this scenario, not good .....

BadMCAngle.jpg

Hi, I ordered a 100cm M10 front brake line from eBay today. The master has a 14 on it. How do I know if the banjo bolt fittings will be the right size?

You measure the diameter of the hole in the banjo, or the diameter of the banjo bolt. But, the 650 uses M10 banjos and banjo bolts, and most of the lines for sale on eBay are that size. It's probably about the most common metric size.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a couple of front master cylinders myself. Looking for the rebuild kits I see them on HVC so far, and probably Mikesxs and eBay. After removing the plastic reservoir I saw the O-ring there. HVC does not carry. I discovered that Yambits in the UK does carry that O-ring. Just an FYI.

Back