Photo Enhancement

halfmile

XS Builder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I won`t clutter up a existing bike thread with this but as you probably all know there are countless enhancements that can be made to your pics. I don`t have Photo Shop or anything that will let you distort your pics but the entry level stuff is kinda neat just the same. Those of you that really know what your doing, post something please!
XS`s 012-001.JPG
XS`s 012-002.JPG
XS`s 012-003.JPG
XS`s 012-004.JPG
XS`s 012-005.JPG

photoshop elements (still working on learning this), but just trying to dup. the calendar photos...no luck. They were published as submitted, I would imagine. Artist/photographer's discretion. Well done.
xs photoshop elements.jpg

Mr Bultaco. The 1st photo I posted is as the pic was taken originally. The photo in your 1st post is great. To me that is perfect contrast. Can the shadows be removed? I had a sparkle burst filter for my old Nikon F. Can this effect be done on the computer? Next years calendar might just set the standards for all future publications!!! Who Knows.

Clipboard 2 text.jpg
If the bike is the focal point then placement is just as important.
No depth of field needed, a busy background will only distract the eye from the point of focus, (bike), and concrete slabs have expansion cracks/joins that can completely ruin the overall effect of a pic.

Last edited:
Nice effect. What software did you use to remove the distractions?

I have Photoshop 7. It is on a disk, the last of the series before you had to buy online and had online updates. This was given to me and still learning how to use it.

The block wall i used the blur at about 35% capacity, (has a sliding scale), and to remove the other parts around the bike i used the Clone stamp, again it was around the 30-50% capacity for blending.

I learn't something new using the capacity

Phil, I have a copy of Photoshop CS3 if you want it. It's a real slog learnin' it, but the stuff you can do with it is amazing.

Phil, I just used the Windows 10 photo app to edit your photo. I crop it 1st, then use the slider on the 'enhance your photo' to see
how it looks to me. I then clicked the 'adjust' button and it opens the 'clarity'(sharpen) and 'vignette' buttons. The vignette just 12
softens the borders with either a light or dark shadows. I hardly ever us it. You can also saturate the photo as well as lighten
or darken it with the adjust button. The second pic I used my Photoshop Elements 8..circa 2010, ($95) which I am still in the learning
stages. Unless you are a graphic artist or the like, I doubt you need the complete PhotoShop app.
Your photos that you submit are great already. I use a Sony CyberShot (point and shoot).. It's the size of a cig. pack that I
bought 8 or so years ago. I try not to overthink these things, and just go with my instinct.

There is a way to completely eliminate the background and just show the subject and also to eliminate the shadows. I only have the entry level things offered for free by Picasa 3. I do have a friend who is my computer Guru coming over this week to install "something" that he uses. We`ll see how that goes!

Yeah, photoshop elements lets you do that...it's called 'selection' You click on an area with the selection tool and it highlights all
the pixels that have the same values in them, then hit 'delete'. You can use a slider to increase or decrease the area. Even if you
delete more than you want, you can use the most useful button on any program before saving it.....UNDO. lol

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I like to take photos. I take all my photos with an iPhone 6. It has built in editing software for manipulating photos, although not to the extreme of photoshop.
I also do not have a laptop, just an iPad.
The phones software lets you crop, rotate and adjust color, light, and saturation. It also has some cool built in filters you can apply. Here are a few examples.
The original
539778F2-6488-43BC-87E7-E2CEFE896451.jpeg

And after applying a filter that brightens up the image, that makes the chrome really pop, then playing with the color to make the grass a little greener, the sky a little bluer.
8D054870-A4BC-42CC-B3E8-EFB1CBA5D60A.jpeg

Before
7D8DADD2-F51D-41E8-BCF6-9C793385BA13.jpeg

This one, I cropped to tighten up the photo then added a filter to brighten up the image.
12783FFA-ED31-427E-BD7A-23E96926BC18.jpeg

Before
36526334-B303-4691-BCFC-E4DF13FF95FC.jpeg

And after switching to black and white and playing with contrast, the low cloud cover really popped and I think it came out pretty nice.
B09BAC4A-155D-4358-951A-15CA90CD8E3D.jpeg

Before
71F93CC6-1BCF-4FBC-988F-7C60F65795C4.jpeg

This one I cropped to minimize the buildings and telephone poles in the background and bring the building more to the forefront,
then ran it through a filter called Noir which is black and white but it pushes the grey areas more to black. I love the starkness of this photo.
DB625826-9E78-42C9-8BBD-60B37DB84D70.jpeg

Sometimes I like to push the colors more to the warmer side of the spectrum.
5E9A7C3A-DD08-4207-BB66-25CD57C2A45F.jpeg
E69C66B5-ADE3-421A-ABD8-0219C52BF987.jpeg

My little iPhone is not even the best phone camera out there. I have seen some amazing stuff from some of the high end Samsung phones. But I’ll tell you, I take better photos with my phone than I ever did with a 35mm camera, and the best part, it’s always on me and ready!
37B6D6A5-A70D-4BCD-ACF2-EC86CDE1A7C7.jpeg

Mailman, you have a great eye for photography and are an excellent wordsmith. I like your posts and especially your 'retirement' journey pics.
If you weren't Mr. Postman, I bet you would have been a great teacher.

Mailman, you have a great eye for photography and are an excellent wordsmith. I like your posts and especially your 'retirement' journey pics.
If you weren't Mr. Postman, I bet you would have been a great teacher.

Ha! Thank you! You are too kind. I have really enjoyed being a member of this forum, some truly awsome folks here!

upload_2018-1-15_19-21-48.png

my first build about 6 years ago, i am only including it because i thought the pic turned out somewhat worthy.

i am working on my tx650 this winter, sorry to put this charlatan on this site.

That is a beautiful bike Scripto VU and an amazing photograph! Well done!

Back