Pictures of Stock Electrics (Side Covers)

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
Anyone have any pictures of what is supposed to be under the side covers? I need high res pictures, preferably of 76-79 models.

There are lots of open spots where my electrics are supposed to be. For example I'm pretty sure I only have the safety switch, starter relay, and regulator. Yet my starter doesn't work.

Combining some pictures with the wiring diagrams would help.

Posted via Mobile

That's about all there is under the right cover is the safety relay and the starter relay along with the main fuse. Take the heavy cable going from the starter relay to the starter and connect it directly to the heavy positive cable comming from the battery going to the other side of the starter relay. This bypasses the relay and sends power directly to the starter. Make sure your ground connection from battery to frame is good.

If the starter cranks then you have to go further to find out why it doesn't work with the button. Sometimes it's a bad ground at the handlebars.

Pictures would still be great. I cant find any of the stock locations of any of the electrical relays/components.

But I'll try the solenoid jump.

Posted via Mobile

This is from a '81. The "?" is the starter lockout relay.
122.jpg

Well I dont have the Safety Relay or Lockout Relay. I've got a red, blue, red/white, and blue/white not plugged into anything. Also a plug for the relay doesn't go anywhere.

Posted via Mobile

On my '78 Standard, the left side only has the voltage regulator. Right side has the main fuse, starter relay, and the combination safety relay. That safety relay is a 2-in-1. It contains both the starter lock-out and headlight relay. I don't know what that "?" relay is in Bill's pic. I think it's an '80s model thing. My main fuse is located there .....

Electrics-Left.jpg

Electrics-Right.jpg

The red comes from the main fuse and feeds power to the whole bike (through the ignition switch). The blue/white runs to your start button so if it's not connected, I doubt anything will happen when you push the button, lol. The red/white goes from the starter relay into the safety relay then out to your coils and kill switch. I don't have a blue but rather a blue/black. This goes to the light portion of the safety relay and does the "lights on when running" thing. That's why it's disconnected in my pic. Now my handlebar light switch works all the time and I control the headlight on/off, not that silly relay.

I tried jumping some of those wires and I did get the starter to fire...though it sounded...off. It didn't seem to be engaging...

Do the gears on the starter strip out?

I wonder if the lack of safety relay is affecting my starting as it's been hard to start and doesn't like to idle.

Posted via Mobile

There aren't any relays that would make it hard to start if missing, just impossible to start. The relays go by so many names, and share names even in the official literature that it's hard to go by the name. the '?' relay in the pic is the one that lets the starter run in gear if the clutch is pulled. The two relays called safety relay in the pic; one of them turns the lights on when the generator starts working, and it has a circuit to hold it on if the generator stops working. The other of that pair disallows the starter if the generator is working (which means if the bike is running).

This is '80 and up stuff. You have fewer relays I think. All of them can be jumpered to let you run the bike if you don't have them. A good parts fiche will show you the parts, if you want to get them.

Re: the starter gears, you'll find a lot written on here and elsewhere about how to deal with the starter not engaging. It's common.

If it's hard to start and runs rough, most likely dirty carbs. Read this www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
Before you get to deep in the carbs make sure all the other adjustments are right, and do them in order
Set camchain tension
Adjust valves
Set points gap
Set points timing
Check for a nice blue spark at plugs.
This gets the mechanical parts in order. Now start with the carbs. Even with the guide you might not get all the tiny passages and holes clean the first time. It often takes a time or two to get them good.
Leo

Back