Piston rings question

JE4570

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello for a second time in one day,

Now I have a piston ring question. I ordered a set of standard size rings off of eBay. They come from XScycle out of canada. After receiving them I just did some more research and found a post where someone posted width discrepancies.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/piston...le-in-canada-advice-please.50219/#post-518746

My issue is similar to that post above and that the new middle ring is about 0.6 mm thinner than the original middle ring. (Old ring ~3.6mm and new ring ~3.0) Does anyone know how much thinner the ring width can be?

Ring gap is still within spec according to an old clymer i have with the middle (i think) having a gap of .019” and the top (i think) having a clearance of .014”

Edit:
I just measured width of the old top ring and the (what I believe to be top) new top ring. Old one is 2.8mm new one is 2.7mm

Top ring gap: old gap is .017 new gap is .014
Bottom ring gap: new one was .019 old one... I broke it :( so idk

Last edited:
the side clearance specs are .04 - .08 mm for top and .03 - .07 middle if that helps

I just got a confirmation that I was assuming correctly which rings are which because I wasn’t 100% sure. I asked the seller if he knew if these could be used on stock pistons but idk if I will ever trust a positive answer from an eBay seller.

Last edited:
So I got an answer from the seller. He said not to worry about the width. He said that they fit perfectly with the stock pistons and wear better than the stock rings. He says he has run several of these rings and sold hundreds with good results. He seemed knowledgeable and even provided me with a diagram for ring positioning. Because everything else seems to be in spec, (gap and groove clearance) I will probably go ahead with these rings unless anyone has a good reason not to.

Do they feel like they push against the walls hard? That's the main thing that determines oil consumption, at the cost of an unnoticeable amount of hp. Don't know what rings they are I'm sure they'll be okay if they meet the specs. Best to use a new wrist pin clip

Do they feel like they push against the walls hard? That's the main thing that determines oil consumption, at the cost of an unnoticeable amount of hp. Don't know what rings they are I'm sure they'll be okay if they meet the specs. Best to use a new wrist pin clip

They definitely push harder than the old ones. Uncompressed ring gap is slightly larger than stock

Back