Plastic Primer for Repaint

xander18

Hotrod Hobo
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm repainting the tank and sidecovers off of an 81 parts bike. I was wondering if anyone had used a primer on their plastic sidecovers that allowed them to take the same paint as the tank. I've heard of products like this, but don't know any specifics. If anyone's used one let me know what your results were.

Also, I'm going with a vintage two-tone Triumph style job, anyone have styling suggestions?

2008-triumph-america-8_460x0w.jpg

Just scuff the clear and paint. But I'm guessing you already stripped the panels so in that case you will need a primer with a flex additive. All company's make them, RM, Dupont, Sherwin. Guess it just depends on who's paint your using .

Posted via Mobile

I have always used the same paint on plastic covers as I use on the rest of the bike. I think you are a bit confused about paint products. I'm assuming you don't have paint equipment and spary with a can ?? I need to know to help with what you should be using.
As far as flex additive goes . . its very much misunderstood. A flex additive changes the chemistry of the paint, but only temporaily. After it cures, the benefit of a flex additive goes away. Flex additive is used for assembly of parts. So a platic bumper on a car can be assembled without cracking the paint. But once it cures fully, it becomes as normal paint. So using flex additive on bike parts doesn't accomplish much.

Ironsled77, I've done nothing to the side covers. I just stripped the tank, I'm still in the research phase of the operation.

PetesPonies, I have an air compressor and a small ('hobby') gun that I think should be sufficient for the job. I'm willing to spray bomb it, but I assumed I could do better with that and buy better product for it. I found this thread (http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33324#post33324) where you offered a lot of good advice, but it didn't mention the plastic side covers and how well they take paint.

Clean it with some wax and grease remover scuff it clean it again and shoot it. Only need to spot prime the any bare plastic spots. No need to get technical for a hobby paint job. And yes you are better off to attempt it the right way that to spray bomb it. Too much bad info and over analyzed info out there scaring guys off. Just do it!

Posted via Mobile

Yeah, and these are the covers and tank off my parts bike. So I can just keep playing around and shooting it until I like it without taking my bike off the road.

How about masking? Any tips for making masks for a rounded surface? I've seen masks online for doing Guzzi tanks, anything for XSs like the pic in my first post?

OK, well using a gun is best. So my primary concern when I paint is adhesion. I do not want a come back where any paint has peeled. So my procedure is using epoxy primer on everything. Kirker is what I use and it sands very well. Many epoxies do not sand. So if I was doing the job, I would spray a few coats of epoxy on the side covers once they have been sanded with 220 wet. Then wen dry ( a couple days is best in your case ) I would wet sand the epoxy with 400 ( 600 is spraying a metallic top coat). This prepares it for topcoat. Epoxy doesn't contain isocyanates and has great adhesion. It seals as well and won't let anything from under the epoxy react with anything you spray on top. My paint jobs are done to last a lifetime, your can too. As for masking . . use Fineline tape by 3m. It is a plastic tape that goes anyway you want it to go. Put masking ( automotive quality ) on top of the Fineline and paper after that.

Okay, well that will most likely be my procedure then. After the Kirker I can put most any paint I want on it? Any suggestions? (This is where I could be convinced to drop real money on metallic flake or something.)

Then do you paint anything on top, like a clear coat or one of those protective finishes?

You really should have a stickied article somewhere, thanks for all the help :)

Well Kirker only comes in gallons, so you can't find small amounts. You can buy other epoxies in quarts locally at your paint supply. as for top coats, well you want to use a urethane material. They can beb ought in SS ( single stage ) or BC/CC ( base and clear ). Certainly BC/CC is more popular, but it depnds on the color you choose. If you go with a solid color, SS is fine. If you are going metallic or even a 3 stage deal, then you use BC/CC. When you spray the base, you are going for coverage, not shine. It should look semi gloss at best . some paints it will be satin when done. Then you spray 2 -3 coats of clear afterwards. sand it with 1500 wet, buff it and it will look like glass.

Alright, I think that'll be all that I need until I start running into problems :)

Now just to decide what I'm going to paint it, this should be the easy part.

Back