PLEASE Help ID These Wheels

espi118

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have fallen in love with this bike. I just got a 80' 650 ans want to base my bike off of this one. In the article about the bike he says "The bike originally came with a 16in wheel that i swapped for a 18in from an older japanese bike. Wheels were wrapped in 450 rear and 400 front Firestone replicas."

So, can anyone help me find where these wheels came from? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

XS650_3.jpg

Front is a 64 spoke Heritage special wheel with an oversized tire stuffed on it. Rear looks like an early XS650 steel rim 18" with the hub turned about 90 degrees CCW. If not, an early 650 wheel will look/work the same. Other details on bike make it likely he started with an 81 heritage special.

rear is a 36 hole rim laced to who knows what hub, easy enough to do with a stock drum or disc brake hub, front is a 64 spoke Front rim "Heritage Special(bazillion spoke) hub, both rims are probably wider (to fit wider profile tires) aftermarket items, best bet is call and talk to http://www.buchananspokes.net/ tell them what you want and go from there

Don't know if this is helpful or not, but I have a set of the Heritage Special 64-spoke wheels. So, the front would match the one in your picture. The rear is 16 inch 48 spoke wheel, so looks similar to the rear in the picture. They are standard width. The photo looks like standard width with wider tires - so don't know about that. Both are mechanically sound, but the spokes are bad and will need replacing. I'm planning on taking the tires off and cleaning them up before I sell. Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks
Goerge

Back