please help me gain some knowledge

adamj1815

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
hey guys! this is my first post, second bike, first build. i will be buying a 1979 xs 650 in about a week and my first goal was to pull the wiring (i dont think there is much left in it) and convert the bike to kick only with the hughs kit. i plan on running a headlight, tail/brake light and rear blinkers only. the problem i have is that i know ABSOLUTELY zero about electronics in general much less motorcycle systems, wiring diagrams look like they new york transit maps to me! could anyone suggest some reference or educational materials that i can use to get started. thank you very much for any and all help. as soon as i get the bike im going to begin a build journal (should be a pretty nasty litte brat with what i have in mind out here in Montana) thanks for all the info thats up already. ill see ya on the street.
adam:)

It seem you have already caught onto the Hughs band wagon without knowing anything about an XS650. I would normally post 6 or 7 links to electrical tutorials and other newbie related information.

Because you are going to bypass information that helps you understand and get to know your bike, that then i suggest you read up in the "Tech Menu" under electrical and any other related topic for information, and use the Google search

The best educational material is to get that bike into your garage and get into it.

It's going to be tough to do the PMA swap without knowing how your bike works stock. Even with your chewed up harness, grab one of the wiring diagrams on here and spend an afternoon just tracing every wire. Where does each one go and why?

This may seem like a pain, but it'll save you some hair pulling on the other side of that PMA swap.

Also, get a multimeter. Test all components that you aren't replacing.

Back