Please Help me ID this Maxim

Trondyne

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this forum and could use some help..

I am considering buying this bike... See Pic..

Couple of concerns..

1... What model is this? :wtf:

It looks like a Maxim X, I think, the 750 model but it has according to the owner the 650... He said this was done at the dealer years back when there was some import issue with 750s.... Is this the case or was this just some kind of home brew swap?

2... How hard or easy is it to get parts for these?

I don't mind spending some time and money but if the parts are hard to get this could be a problem... :doh:

Any thoughts would be appreciated ...

Thanks,

T

Attachments

• maxim mystery.jpg
    maxim mystery.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 214
It's not a Maxim X... it's air cooled. Parts should be cheaper than the X though. The displacement should appear at the base of the cylinders. The XJ's are nice and smooth, I had a parts bike with a good motor.... it's for my go cart now:D Welcome to the site and have fun (even if it isn't an XS:))!!

There is a forum for these XJ's. It's not XJriders.com. They are for SecaII's. I'm sure your search engine can find it. It's for first gen Seca's and Maxims. They have a parts guy and he's supposed to be very good and decent prices. I never bought anything from him so I don't know.

Yes it's air cooled but nothing else about it looks like anything other than a Maxim X -- dual disks in front for example, the wheels for example..... Doesn't look like an XJ to me... nor any other 650... The owner says it is a 650.......

Last edited:
I understand the X has a water cooled motor ffs...

And I agree that this looks like an XJ700 for the most part (different seat and ?), BUT this guy says his bike has the 650cc motor.... If it IS a 650 then something is amiss... Also he claims it was a 750 refitted at the dealer with a 650cc motor because of import issues which I recall did happen back then (the regs)...

I dunno it sounds odd to me...

Thanks for the help...

Sounds like he's never heard of the 700. 650's and 750's are more well known. So buyer beware, especially if the SELLER doesn't know any better :wink2:! All in all, it looks promising, good luck to ya! :thumbsup::bike:

Well he said he has paperwork that explains what he is talking about...

If the bike was some kind of refit I don't know what that would mean and if he's lying then I'm concerned... He has a title and should know what he owns... he doesn't sound stupid...

The price is low, he also said the bike had tipped on last owner and tank was replaced... I wonder if the engine was replaced..... and if its some kind of Frankenstein bike... :yikes:

Or maybe what he says is true -- I'm getting a headache trying to make sense of this -- I need a VIN...

Ok, Harley sued the government to get bikes 750 and larger banned from import. This was in 80 or 81, don't recall exactly. That's why so many bikes had a 750 engine one year the next a 700. They just down sized the pistons. This was done at the factory, not the dealer.
Leo

Back