Please help

Larger carburetors won't solve the problem. Turning the mix screws in RICHENS the mixture on VM's, and needing to go out of range there indicates a LEAN condition in the air/fuel mix. That control works in the reverse of the OEM vac carbs, in which turning the screw in leans the mix.

Needle clip position is numbered from the top down; the top groove is #1 (leanest), the bottom groove is #5 (richest). Put the clips at #3, install the 22.5 PJ's, and try again.

Here, make this your own personal Mikuni mantra. Repeat over and over again while sitting cross legged on the floor, palms turned upward, and eventually you will reach carb nirvana, lol .....

NeedleSlots.jpg

Here is the base line I have with a free-flo exhaust system: Mains-180, Pilot-25, Needle and clip position-6f9--3, C.A.--2.5, Air Jet--none, F.L.--25 It all works for me and was set up by Mike Morse at Central. Good luck Tony C.

Contaminated fuel. Drained the tank and started from scratch. A little lean now with the 22.5 pjs and the 175 mains. I'm so tired of smelling like gas. I think I've got it from here folks. Thanks to everyone who posted a reply. Ready for the next problem? Battery drain. Will a clamp on meter measure DC current draw? Bike off. meter reading 0, yet if I leave the battery connected, it will be stone dead in a few days. No arcing at the terminal when I un hook the lead.

You could remove the fuses and with the bike off, use a circuit tester between each set of fuse holder blades to see if there's a draw. If the light turns on you could narrow your problem down to general circuit group. Also does the battery hold a charge when disconnected from the bike for a few days?

Hey mate hows it going, I'm just at the stage now where im looking at setting up my set of vm32's for my xs bobber build.

The last two days trying to get the bike started proved to be a little difficult, it seems things are running too lean and that perhaps I have some tinkering to do.

The carbies current specs are:

Main jet is 180
Piolet unknown (ill have it out soon, hoping for a 20-25)
Jet needle is 6F-09 Clip in no2 position
Needle Jet is P-06
Slide is Number 03

My old man got the carbies a while back and set them up to the specs he got from someone in the states (Im in Australia) and so far we are running closely to what you have, although im wondering if anyone knows if the Needle jet being a P06 insted of the 04 will give me any dramas?

I've already seen that the needle clip needs to move at least to 3rd position maybe even 4th.

And that the slide is a 3.0 (I read that a 2.0 might suit better)

Appart from all that Im seeing you set your float to 23 ?? (if i remember correctly)

Anyhow any feedback would be great, these are my first set of carbs to work on but so far with the manuals and reading from this post i think im on my way!

Ill put up a photo of the bike for interest sake.

IMG_2693.jpg

Also how did you go with that battery problem, can I ask what charging system you are running on the bike? be it factory or permanent magnet?

johndowling, I haven't been inside those carbs since the remedy was found. I think the last description of my settings is accurate. As far as the charging is concerned, I'm running a stock rotor/stator with a home made rectifier that pamco pete suggested. The rotors on this bike are the weak link and I've had to change several. I beleive the cause of the rotor burn out was the stock rectifier. Since I replaced it, no charging issues at all. 14.2 volts just off idle and the battery is holding up fine. The parts for the rectifier were cheap and sourced at Radio Shack here in the states. I highly recommend this upgrade. I might still have the link if you can't find it. Best of luck with your bobber.

Man thanks for the reply, the pilots I can comfirm are 25. so fingers crossed ill set the float level and we'll be laughing!

Even if you cant remember that far back the comments on this forum have helped me heaps!!

Thanks again and if youre interested ill post a comment when its all done, that way it might help fellow vm32 users in the future !

Cheers

Back