PM setup won't run with capacitor

malloym

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
my bike has been sitting for awhile as I don't feel like dealing with it.. I can't get it to run right with capacitor setup.. it's very hard to start, the bike will sputter and drive like ass. can anyone recommend a good small battery to get this thing going.. bike is kick only.. I really wanna stay away from those cheap ebay batteries..

Must not have something right. Untuned my bike started right up with the pma and capacitor. What ignition are you running?

Must not have something right. Untuned my bike started right up with the pma and capacitor. What ignition are you running?

running the pamco. i can get it running, but it's tough... the bike will charge... seems to start and run better with a battery.

this is the capacitor I got..

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/BEC.html

what type of voltage are you getting out of yours while kicking... i'm seeing around 2-3 volts at the capacitor.

I'm running the pamco too and using a 25v 10,000uf capacitor. I bought 5 of them on eBay for $6. I'll check my voltage while kicking it over when I get home tonight

i think my cap is 15,000 uf... i would love to use the capactor as it's already install. do your lights light up when you kick.. I get nothing... i'm using the hugh handbuilt kit with a new rectifier/regulator for hugh...

I'm running a banshee flywheel with a startor and regulator from a 95 zx6r. I'll check the lights when I get home. Did you add the pamco when you did the capacitor?

had the pamco for about 2 yrs... ran it with the old setup. I have a stator from a ninja as welll..... sounds like we have a pretty close setup. i also have the mikes pkw carbs...

any help would be great. I would love to know where your voltages are while kicking, etc...

also how did you wire your bike ? i have the 3 yellow wires going to the regulator, then the green and red going to the capacitor.. I then used the + off the capacitor to power the lights, etc...

thank you for the help thus far..

i have the 3 yellow wires going to the regulator, then the green and red going to the capacitor.. I then used the + off the capacitor to power the lights, etc...

does the capacitor then ground to the frame?? - sorry, probably a dumb question...

off the top of my head I don't know.... should it???

as far as i understand it, the capacitor replaces the battery. the battery grounds to the frame and the capacitor should as well. if it doesnt, there would be no completed circuit. unless of course every accessory on your bike grounded straight to the capacitor instead of grounding to the frame...

someone feel free to correct me if im wrong...

as far as i understand it, the capacitor replaces the battery. the battery grounds to the frame and the capacitor should as well. if it doesnt, there would be no completed circuit. unless of course every accessory on your bike grounded straight to the capacitor instead of grounding to the frame...

someone feel free to correct me if im wrong...

That's assuming he hasn't put an all new wiring harness etc on it.

What diagram did you use?

Posted via Mobile

yea, i built the harness from scratch.. I do have a ground for my lights and such, but nothing coming directly off the cap. i'm going to review my wiring... maybe what i'll do is send the neg wire off the regulator to the capacitor neg then direct it to a good frame ground.

i'll did notice while trying to get the bike running and hold a idle the plugs are fouling out... i was suspecting the coil not getting sufficient voltage.

Sounds like too small of a capacitor...

But, I typically run a 4LBS Battery on my rides... Light enough, and plenty of juice if needed...

Back