PMA - Battery - wiring question

mattylmbr

mattylmbr
Reaction score
Howdy. Recently wired up my project and want to run a battery in place of the Sparx, because I plan on putting in a M unit with the M lock keyless ignition eventually. Had already bought a battery, but have decided to go kick only - so - won't need to power the starter.

Pic below of my current wiring below (disregard ignition location - eventually the M lock will go there), as well as pics of the battery.

Is this TOO much battery? Really will just be running headlight and brake light. Sparx will disappear and battery will go in tray.

Thanks in advance.

20190824_193531.jpg
20190903_115358.jpg
20190903_115411.jpg

How much clearance do you have between the tray and bottom of the seat pan? This battery will mount lying on it`s side. Good idea to mount it in foam.

How much clearance do you have between the tray and bottom of the seat pan? This battery will mount lying on it`s side. Good idea to mount it in foam.

I have clearance to mount it either way (I think), MAY be tight upright - so was leaning towards having it on its side. Definitely was going to surround it with the foam that came with it.

Surely more than big enough. My Super B 5200 weighs 2 lbs and has no problem with the electric starter on the XS and a hi comp 680 cc Ducati. What ignition system do you have? I am pretty sure that even a bit smaller battery is sufficient to power the ignition for starting. As soon as the engine is running, the battery only serves to stabilize voltage. Another consideration is the parking lights, should you need to leave the bike on the road shoulder for some reason.

Surely more than big enough. My Super B 5200 weighs 2 lbs and has no problem with the electric starter on the XS and a hi comp 680 cc Ducati. What ignition system do you have? I am pretty sure that even a bit smaller battery is sufficient to power the ignition for starting. As soon as the engine is running, the battery only serves to stabilize voltage. Another consideration is the parking lights, should you need to leave the bike on the road shoulder for some reason.

Pamco ignition.

Have a battery that size due to originally thinking I would do electric start as well.

Want to make sure it is not 'too much' if I stay kick only, but, sounding like there isn't a 'too big' issue?

Pamco ignition.

Have a battery that size due to originally thinking I would do electric start as well.

Want to make sure it is not 'too much' if I stay kick only, but, sounding like there isn't a 'too big' issue?
Not really, "too big" may just be heavier, bulkier and more expensive than neccessary, that's it.

Matty I use that same battery with the electric starter without any problems. Its got plenty of juice to power it up if you want to add it back to your bike. JC

Back