PMA charging issue help. Did I fry my regulator?

CoastsideXS650

Princeton Motor Works
Reaction score
I have a 1980 xs650 special with a 1977 motor with a 277 rephrase and highs PMA. The motor is running strong but the charging system has failed me three times now. The first two times one of the wires was abraded from the rotor rubbing the wires and severed the connection.

My question is if losing one of the three phases could have fried my regulator/ rectifier so it would not charge despite reconnecting the wires?

The bike runs pretty well with no headlight but starts to drain when I turn it on. I also am running a 77 right switch assembly with the headlight on off switch going directly from the fuse to the switch then to the lights.

Any ideas and help are appreciated guys.

-Trevor

On some of the early '70s Hondas, one phase of the 3-phase PMA would be 'open' for daytime 'lights off' riding. The other 2 phases were plenty to run the bike and charge the battery. That 3rd phase went to a separate switch in the headlight switch, so that when the headlights were turned on, the 3rd phase would connect to the rec/reg, like a normal 3-phase PMA, and provide additional power to handle the lighting.

But, that's different from an accidental grounding of one of the phase wires. Never ran into that, so no help there, sorry...

Back