PMA, Pamco, e-advancer needs

karel789

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey so I bought Hugh´s PMA, the new Pamco + e-advancer and mikesXS coil Pamco recomends. Thing is I missed Hug´s recomendation on the Sparkx capacitor.
I own a ´79 xs650 and plan to go kick-only. It is also my first build, so I wanted to know if you have any recomendations on a few subjects, I know there are already threads on all this but I appreciate a direct conversation with a helpful member:

can I use the original capacitor?

I completely lost the timing on the engine.

karel789,

I recommend that you use a separate stand alone battery sitting on the floor not connected to the bikes electrical system to power the PAMCO for the initial start up for these reasons:

1. The PMA will not produce any voltage initially and you will break your leg trying to kick start it. :banghead:
2. The engine will start immediately, but the PMA will produce a very high voltage and fry the entire electrical system, including the PAMCO. :doh:
3. The capacitor will explode because you accidentally wired it in reverse and the shrapnel will kill the cat, thus pissing off certain family members. :wtf:

Be sure to use safety glasses for #3 and have the voltmeter already connected to the capacitor so you can see what the PMA is producing. Shut it off immediately if the voltage exceeds 15 Volts.

This information is based on actual cases. Only the names have been redacted to avoid embarrassment, revenge or other bad behavior. :D

The only original capacitor on a 79 was for the ignition. The stock charging system used a battery.
On the timing, you need to locate TDC so you can mark timing marks on the PMA.
Leo

The only original capacitor on a 79 was for the ignition. The stock charging system used a battery.
On the timing, you need to locate TDC so you can mark timing marks on the PMA.
Leo

So, you are saying the 79 capacitor won´t do? What should I look for in a capacitor? (if I can find one with the right specs here would be great, since I live in Guatemala and getting it from internet takes anything between 2 and 12 weeks hahaha)

pete

thank you, will do. I´ve heard the best things about you customer support ;)
Will be careful on No.3, even if I don´t have a cat, some curious dogs might get hurt hehe

karel789,

I would suggest that you initially set it up with a real battery, which is probably available in Guatemala. After you get everything sorted out and get the bike running great, then you can look for a capacitor if you still want one.

Back