PMA / PAMCO Question

Cafe32

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm working on my first build and am trying to plan out what to do.

I'm working on a '79 XS650 cafe racer build and like the look you get by removing the battery - so the question is, what's the best order to do things?

I know I'll need to do a PMA conversion, and from the looks of most of the threads here a PAMCO (or similar) ignition is also a good idea - do I need the PAMCO to remove the battery? And can I leave the lights / wiring the same - I see a few posts where guys are having trouble with starting due to the lights pulling too much power.

Appreciate any advice - and if those questions make me sound like an idiot, remember this is the first build!

PMA is the way to go to eliminate the battery. pamco is awesome and maintenance free. Use a headlight switch to make starting easier since there the capacitor doesnt have power until you kickstart. A few guys here would say keep your factory charging system, and if it works well, I agree. If your charging system is dead anyways, which is the weak link in these bikes, replacing with a pma is easy. You can go the cheaper route and use chinese made electronics, or spend the extra money and source a japanese OEM stator and regulator.

I disagree with jamesgs4. The stock charging system is not a weak link in these bikes. I've used the stock alternator system for 10 years now, and it works very well. Before removing your battery you should realize that its a good thing to have a battery on a bike. That battery is a second source of power, if the alternator, rectifier or regulator should fail. You could shut off or unplug the headlight, unplug the regulator and drive home or to a garage, with the battery powering the ignition. If you have no battery, and the PMA fails, you will be pushing the bike or calling for a tow truck.

If your bike has points ignition, you could continue to use it with a PMA charging system. I prefer the Pamco/E-advancer ignition.

Stay away from the Chinese PMA systems as sold by Mikesxs, HHB, TCbros etc. I recommend you stay with the stock alternator/charging system and a battery, but if you are determined to use a PMA, you should buy Japanese or German PMA parts.

Thanks for the replies, definitely appreciate the input.

I see a few guys putting in a lithium-ion battery, maybe that's a good compromise - smaller and lighter so easier to hide to get a clean look, but you still have that back up in case the PMA fails.

It sounds like the PAMCO/E-advancer is the way to go at least, any advice on where to source Japanese or German PMA parts if I do decide to go that route - all I've seen is MikesXS, TC Bros and had thought they'd do the job pretty well.

Use the "Search" function in the upper right corner . There are hundreds of threads that talk about the problems of using PMAs on these bikes. Do not rush into spending a lot of money, until you have read these threads. Since you are new around here, you need to take some time and do a lot of reading to educate yourself. If you do the research, you will find the answer to all of your questions.

Straight up,,,
Use the Power Dynamo from Hoos Racing if you don't mind spending more. All German made. Better quality than any other kit I've seen and researched. The rectifier stays relatively cool too. Very easy installation. It all runs off the crank. No points or mechannical advance to mess with either. All electronic with 5 presets for advance. You can get more too coz you can manually set advance or retard by simply moving the flywheel. Its not keyed to the crank. It took me around 1 hour to do the mechanical and 10 hr to wire. I soldiered and tubed all connections instead of using supplies plugs. I'm very happy with it. 1 or 2 kick starts.

Last edited:
Use the "Search" function in the upper right corner . There are hundreds of threads that talk about the problems of using PMAs on these bikes. Do not rush into spending a lot of money, until you have read these threads. Since you are new around here, you need to take some time and do a lot of reading to educate yourself. If you do the research, you will find the answer to all of your questions.
Thanks, I've been searching through - there's so much on here that it's hard to find the details...not a bad thing at all - all the info is great, I guess I was taking the quick/lazy approach to finding the answer!

Its good to have you join the site here. Yes, there is a lot of information, but by you reading it, you will be able to ask better questions.
I was not trying to deter you from asking questions; feel free to ask more questions as you chew through the data.
The "TECH" section may also help you.

Back