PMA swap, 5 wire and 7 wire regulator/rectifier differences

Brew

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Getting ready to do the PMA swap and was wondering if I will be able to use my 7 wire reg/rec since I just bought it. All the write ups I see have the 5 wire and was wondering what the differences are between the 5 and 7 wire are?

also I have full pamco ignition with Electronic advance if that makes a difference.

The 7-wire rec/reg is likely for the original energized rotor type alternator.
2 of its wires control power to the rotor, which regulates output.

The 5-wire rec/reg is likely a shunt type, used only for PMA systems.
Internal regulation shorts the 3-phase wiring to ground.

The 2 are completely different, and must be matched to their alternator types...

this is the reg/rec that I am using.

Attachments

• ricks-motorsport-universal-electric-regulator-rectifier-combo-unit-4.jpg
    ricks-motorsport-universal-electric-regulator-rectifier-combo-unit-4.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 954
Since you guys are saying my 7 wire won't work. What do I search for when sourcing? Shunt reg/rec? Just want to know what type of regulator I need?

you need 3 yellow wires to your new stator, one red wire as hot lead to your minimum 10,000uf capacitor/ main 20A fuse/to kill switch etc..., and one green wire to a good fresh bare frame ground. they are on ebay for 15 bucks.

btw, do not enclose your PMA in the left side case unless you want a fried stator. lotta heat build up combined with motor. I run with round cover removed, and even drilled the cover housing for ventilation on one motor. if you ride with shoelaces, double knot them to prevent any entanglement with spinning rotor...

Last edited:
Back